For the commuters: how long?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhambi

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2010
UT
How long is your commute?

Just for fun I videoed mine the other day... too bad it isn't always that short! ;lol

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Just shy of an hour one way for me. I carpool with my bro so it's not bad, and the gas is split.

33 miles one way ... takes about 45 minutes give or take 5 minutes depending on traffic and my speed.

13 miles there and back. 25 minutes, on a train.

Reactions: flyingcow
17 miles each way.. 30 to 45min depending on traffic.. But I tellocomute from home about half time.

Less than 20 min each way. Including my driveway and works driveway I have 4 turns.

2 min give or take a min.
The walk between house and cabinet shop

5 miles or zero depending on whether I work from home or have to drag myself ton the office. Its the only thing that keeps me where I am.

Two weeks ago I was asked to apply for a job by someone who knew of me via a common employee. I said I'd like to interview just to introduce myself and see if I was a good fit, but maintaining I was happy where I was. Still I was tempted. I headed to their office and was twenty minutes into what would be an hour commute (in good weather) and it was a struggle not to call and cancel right then. Having done it (8yrs of 1.5hrs each way) and get out of it it would take an act of God or a natural disaster to put me back on I93 for a living.

31 miles, about 40 mins to an hour depending on the time of day and the phase of the moon. Or rain. I swear drivers in Cinci wreck more in the rain than they do when it snows.

You folks in Utah drive fast! I'd llike to have a 1:43 commute!

40 miles for me. From 50 minutes to 2 hours plus depending on traffic and weather.

Reactions: boomhour
47 each way, country roads about half of the way.

Depends. If I'm working in my shop, 75' (tops) and 2 flights of stairs. If I'm meeting a customer at a marina or pin fitting in a home it's as faraway as I've agreed to travel. When I was "workin' for the man" it was 13 miles each way.

Ah. Commutes. I remember those things. Rain, sleet, ice and snow for 40 years. 99.9% of them an hour and a half each way. In one snow storm, 11 hours from office to home and had to tramp up the 900 foot driveway. Now it is 14 feet down the stairs and 14 feet back up them. And a yearly average on the vehicle of nine miles a week.

Sometimes I miss it. Not often, sometimes. Short times.

Bedroom to the bathroom, to the computer room to power up, to the utility room to feed the cat, to the kitchen for a cup of coffee, back to the computer room. I can make it in 5 minutes if I'm in a hurry. But I haven't been in a hurry for nearly 14 years. :cool:

10 steps from first floor to office

About 14 miles each way....split even between 3 lane interstate (I84), and back roads loaded with critters.....on a clear night, 18 minutes, when there's an issue, I get there when I get there, could be anywhere between 45 minutes to 2 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.