For those of you who do the hiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs. Krabappel

Minister of Fire
Jan 31, 2010
Blue Ridge Mountains NC
This week I've put in my resume for a few jobs that I suspect attracted a high volume of resumes. The contact person at three of them has emailed me to let me know to let me know when they will be advancing the process. Do I email back a "thank you for letting me know" to be proper, or will that just further clutter the inbox in an annoying way.

I know these are the small details, but there is a subtle dance here. I'm trying to stay with the music while not stepping on toes.

Last edited:
Never hurts to say that you appreciate them getting back to you. Imagine it the other way around. How many resumes did you send out without any replies? It feels good to get a reply even if it's too say that they're not hiring.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Thanks! I sent out 5. Got an email from three letting me know when they would be working on them. The other two I wouldn't expect to hear from until they close the job, as they were very big organizations and the process was a bit different.

For sure. "I appreciate you letting me know that I am in consideration and look forward to hearing from you.".

They sent you the note to tell you that you made the first cut.

How bout a "thanks you and look forward to hearing back form you" or "thank you, please let me know". It is a fine line, but my opinion is showing initiative is better than appearing not to care one way or another.
The squeaky wheel does get the oil.

"I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your reply, and I highly appreciate this mark of confidence. I should welcome an interview at your convenience."

Communication is the most important thing when doing business. Definitely reply and try to give yourself an edge without overdoing it, which, you already know.

Best of luck!

p.s. Feel free to steal my reply if it works for you.

Okay, replied.

They sent you the note to tell you that you made the first cut.

That's what I was hoping. One told me he had sent my info on to the hiring committee. Another replied via an email with my info that had been forwarded to her from HR. The third said they would be in touch. I found those all encouraging, but it's a bit like dating. You miss some signals and pin your hopes on others.

Then there's the name thing. Some reply using only their first name only. While it feels like they are setting the tone, it feels so informal to respond in kind at my end. The positions are leadership/management, which I think may contribute to that tone. I'm a step above the unwashed masses ;lol

For now I would use your full name. Remember, they already have a job. When you become manager you will be free to create different signatures for dealing with certain people. The person probably doesn't just use their first name when communicating with the upper level.

Nevertheless, you really should create a signature that is always marketing yourself.

Okay, replied.

That's what I was hoping. One told me he had sent my info on to the hiring committee. Another replied via an email with my info that had been forwarded to her from HR. The third said they would be in touch. I found those all encouraging, but it's a bit like dating. You miss some signals and pin your hopes on others.

Keep it short and efficient and don't gush. Be prompt. It is a test.

Then there's the name thing. Some reply using only their first name only. While it feels like they are setting the tone, it feels so informal to respond in kind at my end. The positions are leadership/management, which I think may contribute to that tone. I'm a step above the unwashed masses ;lol

Take your clue from their signature, but also trust your gut.

Dr. Bronners will keep you that way!

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
"I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of your reply, and I highly appreciate this mark of confidence. I should welcome an interview at your convenience."

Communication is the most important thing when doing business. Definitely reply and try to give yourself an edge without overdoing it, which, you already know.

Best of luck!

p.s. Feel free to steal my reply if it works for you.
OK- I would absolutely NOT be this formal with my reply. It sort of smacks of the language I get in Nigerian Prince email scams :)

OK- I would absolutely NOT be this formal with my reply. It sort of smacks of the language I get in Nigerian Prince email scams :)

Agreed . . . be yourself . . . formal, but not so formal as to sound pretentious.

Another vote for sending a quick reply. It also lets them know they typed your e-mail address correctly. They may even keep your reply in a separate folder so when they ask you in for an interview, they just have to hit reply. These are tiny details, but who knows. Good luck!

One of my wife's roles at the insurance company that she works for is HR. She says that when a person follows up, whether prompted or not, it's always a positive thing and shows that that person is eager to work. She also says that when someone follows up or contacts her, sometimes it brings that person to her attention, where she may not have given them as much consideration in the beginning.

Other things that are important to her:
-Basic knowledge of the company and what they do.
-If they provide a cover letter, it needs to be for the specific job they are interviewing for, not a form cover letter.
-Their resume should be brief while providing all the info that the hiring person needs.

She says that the resume is probably the most important thing. You have a short time to catch that person's attention before they move on to the next resume.

All HR people are different, so these points may not work for everyone. I figured I'd tell you how she looks at it and hope that it helps.

One of my wife's roles at the insurance company that she works for is HR. She says that when a person follows up, whether prompted or not, it's always a positive thing and shows that that person is eager to work. She also says that when someone follows up or contacts her, sometimes it brings that person to her attention, where she may not have given them as much consideration in the beginning.

Other things that are important to her:
-Basic knowledge of the company and what they do.
-If they provide a cover letter, it needs to be for the specific job they are interviewing for, not a form cover letter.
-Their resume should be brief while providing all the info that the hiring person needs.

She says that the resume is probably the most important thing. You have a short time to catch that person's attention before they move on to the next resume.

All HR people are different, so these points may not work for everyone. I figured I'd tell you how she looks at it and hope that it helps.
Exactly right on all points. Also- a resume should be one side of one page, unless you have advanced degrees with publications. This serves a couple of purposes- demonstrates communication ability (brevity is the soul of wit), keeps the other pages from getting detached, increases information density, which provides "punch".

I have stated it here previously, but the best cover letter I ever got had an intro, then a bulleted list of the job requirements, and how the candidate's experience satisfied each point. Very effective

Do not sent them a picture of me though, thats just silly and prolly not gonna help you get a job.

Only use snarky Nigerian Prince language if you are a "real" Nigerian Prince.

I'm surprised that you are allowed to respond to the e-mails. On the jobs I have applied for (on-line), there is always a notification of receiving the application but it dis-allows a reply e-mail to be sent.
Good Luck!

Or perhaps some get the do-not-reply email and some don't.

Ha! I thought someone would jump on that!
Not true, as I have been advanced to the next phase of the precess a number of times...being interviewed and offered the position applied for, also.

I have been advanced to the next phase of the precess a number of times...being interviewed and offered the position applied for, also.

And that's your story and you are sticking with it. ;lol

Thanks for all the great feedback! To clarify---
My initial information was sent via email with the exception of one online submission to a very large organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.