Forestry helmet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PennDude

Feb 12, 2018
Pennsylvania
I've been cutting firewood since I was an early teenager. I'm 35 now and finally purchased my first forestry helmet. Here's what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00REG8JNS/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Now that I'm using it I can't believe I went so many years without one! No more sawdust covering my glasses and in my eyes! No more looking for lost ear plugs! No more branches snapping back into my face! This thing is absolutely awesome. If you're on the fence, definitely buy one.

I've been cutting firewood since I was an early teenager. I'm 35 now and finally purchased my first forestry helmet. Here's what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00REG8JNS/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Now that I'm using it I can't believe I went so many years without one! No more sawdust covering my glasses and in my eyes! No more looking for lost ear plugs! No more branches snapping back into my face! This thing is absolutely awesome. If you're on the fence, definitely buy one.
I recently bought one like that as well, a Husqvarna version and I love it. However, I get kind of sweaty while wearing that stuff... not a big fan of that.

I too have the Husqvarna helmet. Not getting whipped in the face with branches is reason enough to wear it. Once you get used to wearing your PPG, you feel half naked if you're not.

Same with chaps, saves your jeans from bar oil, thorns and pickers, dirt, etc.. on top of possibly saving your leg or your life.

Reactions: iPREFERPi
If you’re felling, you should have one. More folks get hurt by falling branches, as often from adjacent trees as from the one you’re cutting, than from any kickback situation.

Of course, if you check the stat’s, you’ll find leg contact injuries occur much more frequently than head injuries. Something like 10:1 or 20:1 more frequently, although I forget the exact number. The advice from the pro’s at my local saw shop: buy chaps first, saw second, helmet third!

I have the Husqvarna helmet, and it’s not bad. I only wear it when felling, and switch to sunglasses with my Shure Inner Ear Monitors (IEM’s) when bucking. Gotta listen to my favorite podcasts.

Reactions: Jerhurt and Old Red
I got one when I got a real stihl saw, chaps also. I love the helmet also use it when weed whacking and brush clearing. One of the ear protectors fell off and lost the screw, rigged up, but I need to buy a real good one now, its the best. And the screen allows more air on the face then goggles so its a win win for sure.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I have a Stihl one. I only wear it for felling or limbing/climbing. I will leave it on if bucking and limbing a weird tree or one with lots of branches that whip you.

I actually take the ear muffs off completely and use ear plugs because my ears sweat wicked bad in them and my saw was still very loud with them on.

Can never have too much safety gear though. I always used the husqvarna chaps from lowes. They worked though and had a few knicks in them. Then last fall I bought a pair of pro chaps, the husqvarna xp technical or something. They were 100 bucks but they are awesome chaps, huge upgrade. I actually like wearing them.

Also in regards to the helmet, don’t forget when you spit or do a farmers handkerchief lift the face screen first lol n

I have used a Labonville's helmet for years. If I run the saw without it on, it feels totally unnatural, the saw doesnt sound right. I ended up with some hearing loss from work over the years despite wearing ear plugs. I dont like to use ear plugs when working wood as they tend to work out when sweating and its hard to get clean hands to reinsert them. With the muffs, I just flip them down and they are working.