Forgot to cover PE FP30 secondary air tube during cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

saydinli

Burning Hunk
Nov 6, 2016
Near Fergus Ontario
So I just realized while reading a few posts that during the cleaning of the chimney, I had forgotten to cover the rear air tube at the back of the firebox for the secondary air :oops:. This was the first cleaning of our 1 year old FP30.

When I brushed the chimney, only about 1/4-1/2 cup of white and brown ash dust fell down onto the firebox floor and I assume that some may have went down the air tube.

My question is, did I potentially cause any type of blockage or restriction of the secondary air tube? I don't think so but I really have no idea how big the air hole is down at the bottom of the tube or where that ash dust debris would end up.

It happens. With that little soot it could be ok. On the FP30 the concern would be blocking the EBT if too much went down the secondary tube. If concerned maybe you could take some hose and duct tape it to the shop vac nozzle and try to suck up the debris that went down the tube.

We’ve had 2 small/short fires already and everything seems to be working. The secondaries appeared to light up for a bit and I could even hear the rattle of the EBT. I probably won’t worry about it till next year unless something doesn’t seem right once I start burning regularly which should be any day now.

Oh ya, thanks for the tip for cleaning out the air tube. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk