Mid season cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BrownT10

Burning Hunk
Jun 1, 2021
Massachusetts
I let the stove go cold after a weekend holiday trip and decided to give the stove and chimney a cleaning before firing it back up. I gave it a quick cleaning with the soot eater earlier during warmer temps but this cleaning was from a month straight of burning. The stove and class A pipe had light gray and light brown ash, didn't take much to sweep it away. I pulled the tubes and baffle board and cleaned it. I got the the oversized masonry chimney and ran the soot eater up and ended up catching this, realistically probably double this, amounts to about 2 cups total. A bit shiny but seems to sweep off pretty good. I am pretty happy with that, figured I would get some thoughts from some of the pros here. Obviously a masonry chimney isn't ideal, but it seems to work for me ok. How did I do?

20221227_174141.jpg 20221227_174147.jpg

Hi there! Can you please provide us with more information. Total height of flue, height of each section type, diameter etc? That way we can help you with your question

I have a 8x12 clay flue approximately 26-28' in height from the stove pipe. I have about a 4-5' section of single wall pipe that goes into a class a pipe that goes into the clay flue. There is a 90 degree bend into the class A tee section. I am running an osburn 3300 with a basement install.

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Not a pro- but my 2 cents- There is some chunky stuff in that bowl from your cleaning. Not a big amount but some. Sounds like you sweep 2x a year. I’d keep doing that. You’re probably ok, but as long as it’s not a big deal to run a brush up/down the chimney as you have been, I’d just keep it going like that.