Fort Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
Recently I've been gathering a good bit of wood on my property that came down during Hurricane Sandy. On my 7 acres I've had 10 trees come down that I've been trying to get to.

This is a maple that blew down across the driveway. Finally got is split and loaded on the truck, now it's by the main pile waiting to be stacked.

DSC02607 (1024x768).jpg

These are some pics of some oaks that came down in the woods. I've got them all bucked and split, now I just need to get the truck back there to haul everything out.

DSC02611 (1024x768).jpgDSC02609 (1024x768).jpgDSC02608 (1024x768).jpg

Finally, I had some pieces in my back yard that I had mostly split, but had 20-30 rounds left. My kids decided to build a shelter, calling it Fort Firewood. They moved all the pieces, even the large rounds, then drug long branches out of the woods for the roof. They worked at it for hours. If only I could get them that excited about stacking it!

DSC02610 (1024x768).jpg

I told them that eventually the fort would have to come down and the wood would have to be stacked. They gave me such sad faces that I gave in and told them it could stay up as long as they want to play with it. I can't be very stern when they beg!

Nice, you get a lot of your wood on your 7 acres? Looks pretty wooded.

Good way to get helpers in the future. Having fun with fire wood.
When they get older, they'll good memories & be good helpers. ;)

Nice bunch of wood .

Is this storm, "Q" gonna hit your area ?

Nice, you get a lot of your wood on your 7 acres? Looks pretty wooded.

Yes, the house is pretty much in the center of my property, surrounded by woods. Neighbors also own some woods that they leave alone. And I live on a pretty isolated dirt road. All that means I don't have any neighbors close which is just the way I like it!

Good way to get helpers in the future. Having fun with fire wood.
When they get older, they'll good memories & be good helpers. ;)

Nice bunch of wood .

Is this storm, "Q" gonna hit your area ?

Bogydave - that storm will hit us tomorrow but I think most of the moisture will be gone by then. We'll see a little bit of snow or sleet/rain mix. It won't be much but I'm crossing my fingers that it's enough to get school cancelled!

Status
Not open for further replies.