Found a fix for GM 6Sp auto shifting quirks.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Been just tolerating the strange 6SP auto shifting habits , so i searched online to see if theres an easy fix. Turns out you simply turn off Traction Control and Grade Braking and you've got a whole new truck. Traction control light only comes on when its off, no indicator at all when its on. Gone, is the hesitation dropping into drive and reverse. Also gone are the hard downshifts. Performance seems better. Kind alike a drug that solves one problem but the side effects are worse than the thing your trying to fix. I can still use these features only when needed and then turn them off so as not to affect day to day driving.

The only PIA is i have to turn the Traction Control OFF every time i restart the truck. It defaults to the on position.

No complaints about how the 6 speed Allison in my '06 Duramax functions.

I work 12 hr. shiftwork so in the winter months it's always dark out. I use me fog lights all the time (rural roads - lots of deer) and have to turn them on after every key start. Momentary electronics are a PITA, I need old school dedicated on/off controls, LOL.

No complaints about how the 6 speed Allison in my '06 Duramax functions.
I think the Allison is a completely different tranny. Super HD to handle all that Diesel torque. I remember reading about the Duramax when it first came out ,GM didnt have a small pickup sized auto tranny that could handle all the power(other then the standard shift) so they adapted the Allison which was used in large HD trucks to use with the Duramax. They had to modify the body and even jackup the body off the frame a few inches to accommodate the Allison.