Found A Good Source For 1/2" Ceramic Fiber Board For Baffles, etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I suspect you are right. And as an experienced burner you will not be cramming wood in there.

Nonprophet said:
DexterDay said:
With the gaps in the top of the 30-NC. I figure I will bite. Ordered it last night. Shipping is pricey (more than the board itself/ouch) I am thinking about just putting it on top of the factory boards. It will cover the gaps, add insulation to the top, and also still be protected by the factory boards (if this is flimsy)

Any thoughts??? Or did I just flush $50 down the toilet? The gap in the middle or sides (depending on how you have it sitting) seems pretty significant. I would like the heat to stay in the stove ss long as possible. Not escaping through a 1/2" gap. I have read were others have added another board from Englander in the middle/top. Same idea here.

I agree that the shipping is spendy, but, if you think about sending a 3 ft x 2ft pice of glass through the mail you get an idea about how they have to package it up. In fact I found a place in Texas that would sell me a similar size and quality piece and they wanted $25 for the fiberboard, a $25 packaging fee, and then another $25+ in shipping.....In fact that's one of the reasons I was excited to find these guys on ebay because their price shipped is the best I'd found anywhere.

I think it should work quite well for what you want it--keep us posted!

NP

Yep. Will do. Getting cold weather tomorrow and Sat night. Low around 40. Highs around 50. Time to Fire it up. Got the Soot eater last week and my steamer and trivet (looks only-got a whole house humidifier). Spend a lot of money to save money. But in the end, I enjoy the burning of the Pellet stove, Wood stove, and Fireplace. Becomes quite addicting.

I dont think there will be a world of difference installing this new board. But it will make me feel like I am getting a little better efficiency. I plan on making it one large piece, that will completely cover the 2 factory boards. Thereby covering the gaps on the sides and the middle. Will definitely keep you posted....

DexterDay said:
I plan on making it one large piece, that will completely cover the 2 factory boards. Thereby covering the gaps on the sides and the middle. Will definitely keep you posted....

Don't put it on top of the existing boards. You are just gonna block the flow to and around that flame iimpingement preventor welded to the top plate of the stove. Take out the front burn tube, slide the boards out and take a look up there.

An easier way to eliminate the gap is go buy one of those steel rods they sell in different sizes at every hardware store, slide it through a piece of 1/4" stove rope gasket and lay it on one side before putting the boards back in. Whopping cost of four or five bucks.

BrotherBart said:
DexterDay said:
I plan on making it one large piece, that will completely cover the 2 factory boards. Thereby covering the gaps on the sides and the middle. Will definitely keep you posted....

Don't put it on top of the existing boards. You are just gonna block the flow to and around that flame iimpingement preventor welded to the top plate of the stove. Take out the front burn tube, slide the boards out and take a look up there.

An easier way to eliminate the gap is go buy one of those steel rods they sell in different sizes at every hardware store, slide it through a piece of 1/4" stove rope gasket and lay it on one side before putting the boards back in. Whopping cost of four or five bucks.

Gotcha... But why have I heard about other people "adding" another board to fill the gap. Is that 1/2" gonna stop the flow of air??

P.S.- That is a serious question.. I am new to this and do not know better. Take all of the advice that Pen and yourself have with this machine, to heart... Thanks BB. I will take a look tomorrow. Already ordered the board. So I guess I have a back-up (a weak back up by some of the posts) Man. I really have to get some self constraint, when it comes to purchases for any of my stoves. Ugh....

People have cut a piece to fill the gap. The two piece makes some sense. It give more if you bump it with a split and if you bust one you only have to replace one. That space is just the pain in the butt. And if you let it separate in the middle it heats up the stove top too hot pretty fast.

Cut a piece of cardboard the size to fill the space over the tubes and I bet you will find you can't get it through the door opening without bending it. Which you won't be able to do with the fiberboard. Two different sized pieces would work better.

Just FYI. I've made contact with the vendor again. It turns out this is the material he came up with in response to my request last spring, but had lost my contact info to let me know.

According to his specs, the material is about 20% denser than the Kaowool M board (300-320pcf vs 250-260pcf). It is possible that it is in the same league as what the manufacturers are using. (It would be nice if one of those mfr's would weigh in if they happen to read this...)

Meanwhile, if those of you who get it could compare it to the standard baffle board in your stove, that would be very helpful. If you have access to an accurate scale, please post the weights of identically-sized pieces of each so we can see if we're in the ballpark.

The vendor is ordering new boards soon, they would be available in Nov-Dec, so if we need higher density, now would be the time to figure it out.

Got it today... BrotherBart. I took my flue out of the top of the stove and cleaned the entire chimney with my soot-eater (Just for practice, so when its cold, I can knock it out). While it was off, I looked at the impingement plate that you were talking about. You said that I wouldn't have the room to lay this piece of Ceramic board over the original 2 boards?? There was over an 1.5". If I lay this board (Cut to size/one piece) on top of the other, it leaves plenty of room for exhaust gases to escape. I swear I read that someone has done this.. It helps cover the side and/or middle gap/gaps. Not going to "Layer" it, but just seems like a viable option.

Either way, if I cant use it as a second layer, I have a viable replacement. I came pretty fast from Az. but it did arrive with a damaged corner. I will not need the corner, but for the price of shipping, it should have arrived flawless...

Attachments

• Ceramic Board 1.jpg
    Ceramic Board 1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 988
  • Ceramic Board 2.jpg
    Ceramic Board 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 964
It will be interesting to hear how it works if you put it in the stove. Really.

If I had a piece that size I would cut it to have one piece as large as I could get through the door and another smaller piece that would do the rest of the job.

Let us know.

I thought I was posting to this thread, but it ended up being another... here it is again.
---------------------------
I received my sample of 1/2" board from Skyline Components today. It is essentially the same as the Kaowool 2300F M-board. Weight per volume is slightly higher (no doubt there is some batch-to-batch variations) and the surface characteristics are basically the same. See all previous comments about it being easily damaged when hit by wood.

So, yes, the original material is tougher stuff. But as has been said by several posters many times in this group, you’re not supposed to be jamming wood into the secondary tubes and baffle anyway. For those who are willing to cut their own replacement baffle pieces to size, this material presents a very cost-effective alternative to buying pieces from the OEM. And with reasonable care when loading your stove, I see no reason why it shouldn’t last as long as the original material.

PS - I was totally off base when I wrote in an earlier post that the vendor was primarily a salesman. Mr. Li has a PhD and probably has forgotten more about this stuff than I’ll ever know…

PPS - their website is: http://www.skylinecomponents.com/CeramicFiberInsulation.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked up my piece today, and I cut it and installed it into our Isle Royale. Easy to cut with a sharp razor blade, seems reasonably durable given what it is. For our Isle Royale it's a pretty small piece for the baffle, and it's held in place by 3 burn tubes, so I don't think we'll have any issues with sagging--the only damage I foresee is from jamming logs up into it which hopefully can be avoided. Seeing as I can get an easy 4 baffles for our stove out of one $50 piece (shipped) I'm pretty happy for $12.50 a baffle as opposed to $85 from Quadrafire.

As the season progresses I'll keep people posted on how well the baffle board is holding up.

NP

Folks, the vendor, Skyline Components, is interested in developing a new board with better resistance to surface abrasion. It would help if we could send him a sample of damaged material that someone has removed that they can reference to. I think this is a unique opportunity to get high-quality replacement baffle boards at reasonable cost. Noone else has expressed an interest in offering this until now.

If anyone has a piece that they can part with, please send me a PM.

precaud said:
Folks, the vendor, Skyline Components, is interested in developing a new board with better resistance to surface abrasion. It would help if we could send him a sample of damaged material that someone has removed that they can reference to. I think this is a unique opportunity to get high-quality replacement baffle boards at reasonable cost. Noone else has expressed an interest in offering this until now.

If anyone has a piece that they can part with, please send me a PM.

Neat! I (hopefully) won't need any for my 17-VL for a while since it is new this year, but it would be nice to have options.

Nonprophet said:
I just picked up my piece today, and I cut it and installed it into our Isle Royale. Easy to cut with a sharp razor blade, seems reasonably durable given what it is. For our Isle Royale it's a pretty small piece for the baffle, and it's held in place by 3 burn tubes, so I don't think we'll have any issues with sagging--the only damage I foresee is from jamming logs up into it which hopefully can be avoided. Seeing as I can get an easy 4 baffles for our stove out of one $50 piece (shipped) I'm pretty happy for $12.50 a baffle as opposed to $85 from Quadrafire.

As the season progresses I'll keep people posted on how well the baffle board is holding up.

NP

NP,

Did you also cut a piece for the rear opening behind the burn tubes? The rear piece is meant to be screwed in from
underneath with two screws. It's not as deep as the front piece. Or maybe you already had that piece?

northwinds said:
Nonprophet said:

NP

NP,

Did you also cut a piece for the rear opening behind the burn tubes? The rear piece is meant to be screwed in from
underneath with two screws. It's not as deep as the front piece. Or maybe you already had that piece?

NW,

Yes, the rear piece was still there. It's looking a little worn but it's still intact, so I think I'll leave it alone for now. When it comes to tightening and untightening bolts/screws/etc that have been under extreme temps inside a firebox, I like to err on the side of caution and not mess with it unless I have to because snapped fasteners can present some really unpleasant situations. At least now I have enough material to replace it when I need to.

NP

I mentioned previously that a ceramic fiber board manufacturer (Skyline Components) was interested in coming up with a material as good or better than the OEM baffle material. Well I received another sample from Skyline this week. It is about 20% higher density than the previous material (0.607 gm/cm2 vs 0.492 gm/cm2) and has better abrasion resistance because of it. But it is still not the same as the OEM material. This stuff is still somewhat softer and more fibrous. The impression I have is that this is the same material, but the OEM material has been impregnated with a stiffening agent. I'm not saying it is the case, just an impression. The OEM board feels less fibrous to touch; you can see the fibers, but the surface is stiffer.

So we are still looking for someone that has a piece of their original broken baffle board that they can send in for examination. Please PM me if you can help out. We have a motivated supplier, and this is a great opportunity to get a good source for replacement baffle board material at reasonable cost.

i just broke the board in my englander 13NC. they want $72 for a replacement on thier website. seems high for a 21x10" piece. will the fiber board from this ebay seller work ok in my stove ?. how is it holding up from you guys that are useing it.

i ship tractor parts out weekly so i can send a piece of the old board.

NP

Just wanted to follow up with a report on how this inexpensive 1/2" baffle board is holding up. We used it in our Isle Royale all last season and for a couple months this season and so far it has held up very well! See pics below.

At first, I was pretty cautious about not jamming splits into it, but as time went on I more or less forgot and "fired at will" when loading. I do have a few decent gouges in the material (the worst one on the left which is about the size of a quarter and maybe 1/8"-1/4" deep), but overall it's holding up very well and I expect it to easily last through this season and likely several more after that. We paid $12.50 for the size piece that we needed ($50 for the whole sheet from feeBay which is large enough for 4 pieces our size) while Quadrafire wanted $85 for one small piece.....So, if you're looking for reasonably-priced 1/2" baffle board I highly recommend this material and vendor!

DSCN0630sm.jpg

Just wanted to follow up with a report on how this inexpensive 1/2" baffle board is holding up. We used it in our Isle Royale all last season and for a couple months this season and so far it has held up very well! See pics below.

At first, I was pretty cautious about not jamming splits into it, but as time went on I more or less forgot and "fired at will" when loading. I do have a few decent gouges in the material (the worst one on the left which is about the size of a quarter and maybe 1/8"-1/4" deep), but overall it's holding up very well and I expect it to easily last through this season and likely several more after that. We paid $12.50 for the size piece that we needed ($50 for the whole sheet from feeBay which is large enough for 4 pieces our size) while Quadrafire wanted $85 for one small piece.....So, if you're looking for reasonably-priced 1/2" baffle board I highly recommend this material and vendor!

[ATTACHl]89467[/ATTACH]
Hi all! This is an old post but is this product still around? I have another question too. I was foolishly tapping on the fire boards to help with cleaning of the stove as we haven't felt comfortable enough to take off the tubes and a bite size chunk broke off the front left side. Like two small child bites together. Does this warrant a new board? What a dummy I am.Thanks for any advice..Seems to be burning good....but....?

It's a New Englander 30

You might want to check your yellow pages, maybe the business to business one for a company that builds and repairs kilns and heat treatment units. This is where I have gone in the past to avoid the crazy shipping charges.

Thanks for the information! What do you think about the quarter (coin) size piece that broke off right at font edge on left side. It's right where the board would just rest on front tube so there's a small gap missing by tube. Should we replace it? Winter two with the New Englander and just love the giant burn box!

Thanks for the information! What do you think about the quarter (coin) size piece that broke off right at font edge on left side. It's right where the board would just rest on front tube so there's a small gap missing by tube. Should we replace it? Winter two with the New Englander and just love the giant burn box!
As long as it's not a huge gap I wouldn't see any reason to replace it.