Found possible wood gold mine near me!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Been walking a mile of so a day. Walked by a neighborhood lot, & found a big stash.
Will see if any of it's for sale.
90% birch which will not last in the log length very long, even in the round it only last a few years.
Will make an offer of $400 for 10 cords & see if they are interested. Maybe buy more if they want to sell.
Be nice to get it hauled to my place but, still pretty close to make trips, cut & split there.
Should be healthy enough to cut soon (I hope) :)

Attachments

• 100_5984.jpg
    100_5984.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 524
  • 100_5985.jpg
    100_5985.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 533
  • 100_5986.jpg
    100_5986.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 528
hopefully the guy will deal on that, would hate to see all that birch just rot away and it's nice and close!

I'm curious how long some of it has been there. Pile on the right looks like good & fresh (yr at most) but other piles ?? look older.
Logs on the bottom I bet are rotting already.

Be nice to find out if a good deal of the older birch is punky. Hate to buy a bunch and find out a lot is past prime. If he wants to sell, perhaps you could ask to spend a half hour bucking from different areas of the pile to be sure the logs are mainly solid. Cheers!

Good luck on that one Dave. That would really be sweet so close to home.

you get extra points for being closer to home with a wood source...maybe even enough points to be able to offer a bit more if you have to

NH_Wood said:
Be nice to find out if a good deal of the older birch is punky. Hate to buy a bunch and find out a lot is past prime. If he wants to sell, perhaps you could ask to spend a half hour bucking from different areas of the pile to be sure the logs are mainly solid. Cheers!

Good points
Thanks

yooperdave said:
you get extra points for being closer to home with a wood source...maybe even enough points to be able to offer a bit more if you have to

If it's promo wood, maybe.
Need to find the owner, see if he even want to sell. You know how that can go sometimes.
Sometime folks think it's worth the cut/split delivered price in their log form,
Will approach him with caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.