found Some wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanningjw

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2008
Plymouth, Minnesota
IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3069.jpg

Looks like some nice straight-grained wood. Should be fun to split by either man or machine.

My back hurts just looking at moving that big stuff~ I just finished up 1-1/2 cords of shagbark hickory that had a trunk about that size....

Shari

I've found that the large rounds of Ash that I've been splitting have been really stringy (annoying).

Big rounds are great to split - lots of splits per round, lots of rectangular splits (which for some reason I like), and Ash should be easy to split. Don't waste that stuff on a splitter - do it by hand (assuming those aren't already cut to the length you put in your stove).

Couple smacks with an 8lb maul and it'll just pop right down the middle. Thats some real good firewood there.

You've just gotta love big wood. ;)

I wedged split the 16" rounds into half's. This made picking them up in the splitter a lighter job. I think this disease free ash weighted in at 200 lbs per foot, about 90 years old. This stuff was big and not easy to hand split with the fisker.
Needed to have it out of my driveway and put up because the asphalt contractor is coming on Wednesday.
We replaced the retaining walls with boulders. All the splits are put away and we can go camping this weekend. My back does hurt after this job.

IMG_3044.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

What does the emblem on your T-shirt say?

Your boulder wall looks great. Did you do it yourself?

Looks great, awesome score!!

CJRages said:
Looks like some nice straight-grained wood. Should be fun to split by either man or machine.

yikes. i would be interested in seeing that split by hand or even machine...
how do you manage such large rounds without throwing out a back?

Good stuff. Looks nice to split by hand. stuff that big I split right on the ground so no lifting. Then again if I had that 7901, I might rip those suckers up just for fun!

SolarAndWood said:
Your boulder wall looks great. Did you do it yourself?

The bolder walls done by http://www.heggembros.com/

The stamped concrete side walk was done by http://www.buildwithmajestic.com/projects.html

Gerald Heggem has been putting bolder walls in for almost 30 years. We like the flat face style and the work that he has done. The walls are a big part of the landscaping and required a expert bob cat guy. I have seen some DYI jobs and they do not compare. This was the first time I have ever watched a job get done at my house that I did not help.

Nice wood! Looks like a near miss on the in the first picture posted! Did you find the metal yet?

rdust said:
Nice wood! Looks like a near miss on the in the first picture posted! Did you find the metal yet?

I found a bunch more large metal wood screw in the rounds, didnt take long. I went thru 2 full chisel chains with the DCS 7901. The saw would just stop cutting. Bucking them rounds was fun but the rest of the job was work. My buddy that brought by the splitter said I was a feline, and that it should of all been done in a afternoon. It took me a couple of days.

rdust said:
Ja, I saw those tell-tale metal stains and wondered the same thing.

It's like the old joke that the only thing worse than finding a worm in your apple, is finding half of a worm!

yikes. i would be interested in seeing that split by hand or even machine...
how do you manage such large rounds without throwing out a back?[/quote]

par0thead151, you do it by having the right equipment. Personally, I love the big stuff, bigger the better. More splits and less bark. Less peices to move to.

Lanning, how did you load that trailer? A machine or dolly? Also is that a quarter on that one round?

Lanning said:
firefighterjake said:
What does the emblem on your T-shirt say?

I got it at my fire house. Its a 911 FDNY shirt.

IMG_3059.jpg

Ah ha . . . I thought I recognized the Maltese cross on the front . . . and was wondering if you were a brother firefighter or not! :)

GolfandWoodNut said:
Lanning, how did you load that trailer? A machine or dolly? Also is that a quarter on that one round?

The tree cutter had a boom truck, he was then able to load into the trailer. He thought it was 200 lbs per foot. Yes that is a quarter in the picture. We lost the quarter too....

Status
Not open for further replies.