Foundation Crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeS

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2008
Maryland
Recently I discovered a crack in my poured foundation wall. The reason I noticed is because it was leaking water from the outside. During the spring of last year we had some stone put down around the foundation and apparently in this one spot (just so happened to be around the crack) they didn't do a good job grading and water was puddling right against the foundation wall.

I was able to move the stone and filter cloth and put down some potting soil (didn't have anything else). Well it seems to have temporarily stopped the flow of water however I am concerned this will happen again regardless if I regrade. Here is the question, is there a proven DIY way to repair this? I just had a company stop out and tell me they could fix it for $3,500.00.

I don't want to but their company I just want to fix the crack!

Hydraulic cement is the correct material, it is the aplication which is the problem. To do this correctly, you must chisel the crack to a depth and width of 1/2". The bottom of the chanel you cut must be wider than the opening at the top. Buy good quality hydraulic cement (expansion cement and follow the mixing instructions on the package carefully, especialy in regards to tooling.

Not an easy job, but doable if you are handy.

Thorocrete Waterplug is one of the more well known brands.I used it to fix leaks in the outer walls of a junior high school swimming pool some years back.Also some cracks in 85yr old tile foundation of my house here.Be sure to wear thick neoprene gloves when mixing the powder & water,dont mix any more than can be used in 10 minutes.Contains bentonite clay,it expands & creates heat as it cures.Pack it in tight,in several layers,smoothing final one flush with outer surface using margin trowel and/or putty knife.

Other issue is the reason the crack formed. There are different sorts of cracks. Some are expected in a poured foundation, some are not. Make sure it's not a sign of something progressive.

Trying to plus a leak from the inside is usually a band aid. If there is water pressure on one side of the wall, the water will find its way in eventually unless there is a water proof membrane on the outside of the wall. Most of the basement water proofing systems end up installing drainage weeps at the base of the wall and then collecting the water and routing it to a central drainage point (or a sump pit).

I'd be looking for what caused the crack before I worried too much about fixing it. Does it go all the way through the wall? How old is the concrete? What kind of soil are your footings on? Did a footing or wall move and cause the crack? These are things I'd want to know if it were my house.

perfect world divert water before it gets to the foundation
gravel, rubber membrane, fiberboard panels
sometimes as simple as grading property around foundation

around here they use an epoxy basic procedure is
they drill 1/2" hole on crack line
then inject epoxy into crack with a syringe/ cauk gun
they have to drill several places normally

have used the hydraulic cement in many applications
and it works nicely
but as stated above, figure out why the crack appeared first
might avoid bigger problems later

Doesnt sound like any rebar mats were installed before the concrete was placed either.Granted its not a 5 story commercial parking ramp with basement,still needs reinforcing though.

Actually the crack appeared right next to the support beam that runs the width of the house and there is also a window right at the corner. Everyone I have talked to says that they see cracks appear at these places routinely. No other cracks anywhere else in the wall.

I will try regrading first and keep an eye on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.