Windhager leaks water in the combustion room!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

andre26

May 16, 2023
Italy
Hey everyone, newbie here with a big big problem and I need your help!

As you can see in the photos below, the combustion room of my pellet heating system is letting water go where the combustion happens, making the system stop working obv...

It doesn't look like there's an actual hole, but more like the material got worn out and water is passing by.

i asked the company what to do and they told me that in their opinion i should just replace the whole system, which i can not even remotely afford!

what i was thinking of doing is cleaning and scrubbing the area as best as i can and then applying some sort of aluminium epoxy paste or similar (the one used to fix cracks in engines) which i guess should be able to withstand the temperature and avoid water coming through.

what do you think? Thanks a lot!!
Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 16.35.56.png

Welcome to the forum
I think maybe the wood boiler guys might be a better fit
for your problem.
I have little experience with wood-fired or for that matter any water heater
The ones I have seen when they start to leak it is time for replacement.
Any stopgap that would seal the leak is most likely temporary. This may give
enough time to put the finances together for a new unit . What you purpose
to do may work for a time

You might be better off finding a welder who can weld or braze the leak. It's hard to see exactly where the water jacket is leaking. Maybe clean up the surface and post a better photo.

Sorry to say, but the company is right, that machine needs replaced...there is nothing short of welding that will buy you any time...and the results of welding may be short term too, it just depends how bad it is as far as how thin the metal is and how big of an area is bad....but yeah, a good welder might buy you some time, maybe.