Fourth Load from the Glory Pile/My Future Stacks In Progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
Now I remember why I don't cut wood in 85::F heat. :eek: I nearly got heat exhaustion. :ZZZI had another friend help today. We loaded my truck, his truck, and cut another truck load he'll pick up this afternoon. I forgot my camera. I stopped by my house to get the camera on my way to drop the load off at my sister's house, because it's just one block out of the way.

The first pic is the load in the truck, which is about 90% Douglas Fir and 10% Oregon Bigleaf Maple. The next pics are my stacks, and the rest of the firewood left to split. The oak/ash/hawthorn wood in the right stacks were cut 2011 and for 2013-2014. The Douglas Fir/Oregon Maple/Honey Locust/and some plum on the left will be for 2014-2015. I'll probably use a cord of Doug Fir for 2013-2014, because it seasons fast. And if you look close enough, you can see the Swedish Candles I have seasoning. I can't wait to try that later this summer.

I still have to gather another 3/4 cord of ash and apple I have cut, but can't get out in the muddy pasture yet. With this warm weather, maybe first of July I can get it. It was July last year before I could get that ash and hawthorn.

Enjoy the pics! :cool:

DSCN2669.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2671.JPG
    DSCN2671.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCN2672.JPG
    DSCN2672.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCN2673.JPG
    DSCN2673.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 138
Very nice! Its no fun cutting when temps are above 80 with or without high humidity.But think of it as a great fitness plan that pays off several times,especially when the cold winds are blowing this winter & you're inside keeping warm by the fire.

Slow & steady, drink lots of water.
The rate you're working at is pretty good, your stacks are growing fast .
Looking good :)

Reactions: Thistle
I split/stacked another 8' row on the left side of the stacks tonight. I stacked the LAST piece of firewood, and was ready to call it a day. Then, the Lincoln Log crash sound. :eek: The right end criss cross stack fell and took about 1/8 of the stack with it. I'm glad the sun is up past 9 PM in our neck of the woods this time of the year, because it added 15 minutes of re-stacking.

The high temp today was only 65::F, and much cooler firewood working weather than last Saturday. It was about 60::F when I split tonight from about 7 PM to 9 PM. I drank lots of water, but I didn't get close to heat exhaustion. Slow and steady, I'll plan on it again on Thursday. I need to mow my lawn tomorrow.

Looks good Oregon Bigfoot. We are in for some weather in the 90's for a couple of days so if I do cut it will be in the shade with plenty of water.
zap

96 here yesterday,was still 90 at 930 last night.What I had to do outside was done before 11AM. ;hm 95 again today then cold front w/ much needed thunderstorms low 80's tommorow & tommorow night.We had 1" rain on Friday through Sat morning,but its been so hot & windy since you cant even tell it.Still in moderate drought over most of the state,though its slowly improving in spots.

Looks like ya got a good supply going!! I can't handle working in the heat either. But ya know you gotta do what you gotta do!

Status
Not open for further replies.