FP30 break in smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AppMan

Dec 12, 2022
Burnsville, NC
I have an FP 30. Love the stove my problem is I’ve burnt up 2 thermostats for the fan In first three years of 10. My question is I am smelling like a furnace smell, like burning metal but I’ve had this stove for 10 years and use it daily as our main source of heat in the winter months. Any clues?

Did anything happen that might have shaken dust on top of the fireplace inside the chase?

Not to my knowledge. I swep the chimney this summer. I’ve burned in it for about a month before I smelled it. It only smelled for a few days on different days. Not doing it now so not sure. I’m wondering if just too much dust got on top of the box where the blower comes out.

What temp is that stove suited for? I can’t seem to find it. My laser thermometer was reading about 670 at the hottest spot which was on the glass front

I don’t think IR thermometers read accurately off the glass.

If you keep the metal below 750 of do you should be fine. You might want to test the accuracy of you’d thermometer too.