1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

"Frankenstorm" on the way east coast!!!

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Pellet-King, Oct 25, 2012.

1. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Same out at my place. Had ONE flicker of the lights at maybe 7:45 & nothing after that. Could been worse.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. RORY12553

RORY12553 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern NY
    Light flickered on and off all day yesterday finally went off at 3:30 am and got it back at 11am ...I guess they realize the powerful person (me) that lives in the area...hahaha...thank god only a few downed limbs and some small trees
  3. Millsk

Millsk Member

Loc:
    Eastern ct
    We're over in lebanon and had the exact same experience. I think Irene and the snow storm culled all the weak trees in the immediate area. :D
  4. DV

DV Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern MD
    8.5 inches of rain. No damage to my house or trees. Got lucky on this one. Irene was much worse for me down in southern MD last year.
  5. Melissa220

Melissa220 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    central ME
    Yes, they're okay. Said it was pretty much a non-event for them.
  6. shtrdave

shtrdave Member

Loc:
    SW PA
    Woke to what was 3" or so of snow at one point but it was raining so it was slush, rained most of the day and then turned to snow but it didn't lay wind was not what they said it would be, rivers were running high but not overflowing for the most part some small streams went over the banks and closed some back roads.

All in all it seemed tame compared to what the weather people were telling us to expect.

Glad to hear the rest had calm for the most part experiences.
  7. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Going on 50 hours without power...485 miles away from the storm. Genny going nonstop. Only used 12 gallons so far.
  8. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Err didn't you post to this thread yesterday a bit after 8:00 PM that your power went out at 5:15 yesterday evening?

Me thinks your math is a bit otl or you've been up too long.
  9. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Anybody talked to Jay? Conn got hit pretty hard?

Been over 24hrs since he has logged on. . . .

Hoping everyone made it o.k.... Watching the special on the storm and seeing clips from the East Coast :(
    gbreda and oldmountvernon like this.
  10. smoke show

smoke show Guest

that crazy bastard is probly on the lake fishing. :p

seriously hope everyones ok.
  11. CtPaul

CtPaul Burning Hunk

Loc:
    CT
    I'm in Middlebury ,CT still no power. It has been out for about 30 hrs. Generator running, pellet stove cranking ( when Benny is on). Hopeful that they will replace the 2 broken power poles by morning. Getting a little interesting with twin 6 yr old girls.
    Glad I'm this prepared, but still want to improve setup for next time. I had to take a cool "Navy" shower tonight. That sucked
  12. gbreda

gbreda Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    Yeah, last post I remember from Jay mentioned roof shingles blowing off...........

Luckily this area just had a few outages, maybe 6 hours tops. No cable or internet until last night so getting info was tough.

Prayers out to all in the hard hit NY, NJ, CT areas
  13. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.

We're fine, No power and a few roof shingles. Wife lost here lilac tree. We had some nasty gusts, But compared to the folks on the coast, We aren't complaining! Hopefully we get power back sometime today. My genny is too small!

Wonder how imacman made out?
  14. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Well me(crazy b) and the boy did hit the water Tuesday morning. ::-) Wind died down and the lake was flat as glass. Freekin fish had lock jaw though! Off the water by noon, Had to fill the genny with gas anyway!

We'd still be out there if I didn't have to go to work today. Kids got no school again.
    The Ds, SmokeyTheBear and smoke show like this.
  15. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    yeah...sorry, all told we were out for 41 hours, came on this morning at 430...just me being ancy...it felt like 50 hours. Not too bad, only missed 60 or so calls coming in, customer support only up to 134 work tickets!!!going to be a very long day in the office
  16. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    Well give it some time and a few more people will get their power back. Then you will be up to 400 to 500 work tickets::-).
  17. whlago

whlago Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Connecticut
    No power here and no estimate for restoration. No genny yet but my neighborhood Electric Company ran a cord down to my house and I'm running the Fridge and a couple lamps....pellet stove if I need it later this week. Thankfully a shower at work keeps from being too stinky! Gas stove lets me cook.
    Melissa220 likes this.
  18. CTguy9230

CTguy9230 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest CT
    got thru the storm ok here...power was only out for about 15 hours or so
    the G/F got a crash course in running the new generator though...

was a long couple days at work...still nothing like our neighbors to the south some of whom lost everything they had
  19. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Ive been without power since 6pm monday, trees and limbs down EVERWHERE!!... the pellet stove has been running nonstop off a 700 watt inverter coming off two (2) marine batteries, coming off jumper cables going to my truck (so essentially (3) battereis total), with a volt meter to monitor. When the batteries get down to 11.9 volts I go start the truck for 20 mins,.. seem to get a 'good' 4 hrs out of a 20 min charge. I have a 4000 watt genny running the well pump, frig, lights, and coffee maker (whoa, that coffee maker draws some juice!!)..... the only thing I dont have is a hot shower!
  20. krooser

krooser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waupaca, WI
    Hope you folks are all safe and cozy... that was a tuff storm!
  21. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Woohoo, Power came back around noon today(41 hours without). I see a hot shower and a few really cold brews this holloween! ::-)
    Melissa220, gbreda and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  22. ChandlerR

ChandlerR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hampton, NH
    Just popping in to say hello! I am sorry so many of you lost power or worse. Thankfully we escaped with some siding damage...nothing serious. Never lost power! I guess all the tree trimming the power companies did over the summer paid off. Fortunately, it's been warm so no need to run the stove.

Chan
  23. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    You have done right. But you don't have to go far down the road to find those that have not. On that same note, there wasn't a bottled gallon of water on any shelves Monday morning. We fill trash cans and bulk water containers. Dump them out once the storm passes. I position one trash can where the gutter can drain into it. Use this for flushing. But you are right that is the way we stay prepared all year.
  24. Cleetussnow

Cleetussnow Member

Loc:
    Westchester, ny
    I am sitting down here in westchester ny going on 50 hours without. Running my generac 24/7. Pellet stove only running at night. It's not too cold yet, like 40s, but might as well be warm. Can't watch tv so I am watching the stove.

Gas supply is becoming an issue but I have over 35 gallons on hand just for the genny. Hopefully that is enough to get through. Every day I go out and refill, ala mad max to make sure I have as much as I can hold. Half the stations I passed today were out of fuel and the ones that did had long lines. I don't have anything better to do, so I wait.

I have wires running to my neighbors to keep his fridge cold, and I ran another line to fire up the heat in another neighbors house for a few hours. We're are kind of the local hub since we have x box and tv so the kids have been several times visiting. Neighbors come by with fuel and have happily ponied up. Sorta worried about thieves and the genny, so I lit the bakyrd with christmas lights. Low draw and good light. Looks kinda weird but hey.

Halloween cancelled officially but some moms got a trunk to treat tailgate together at a nearby parking lot. I bet 250 family's plus showed, it was a zoo. But awesome. Kids went trick or treating car to car. Cops came to try to restore order but it was too late. Can't cancel Halloween, and the kids were thrilled.

Water is no issue here, but in nj it is. Luckily we have a good supply of Potable water.
    gbreda, The Ds, Melissa220 and 2 others like this.
  25. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    We draw a bathtub full of water for flushing and if I'm not using the fermenter (I was this go round) I draw 7 gallons in the fermenter for drinking. I'd just as soon not need to run the well pump if I can avoid it.

Been doing things like this for a long while and if push and shove hit at once I can even get water from the brook.

We put the car (with a full tank of gas) in the garage Sunday after getting back from the concert at the Franco-American Heritage Center in Lewiston,
    DexterDay likes this.