Free Covid Test Kits Signup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
That was quick and easy. I was a bit confused when it went to the post office site but pretty painless. Now see if I can avoid going near people for another 2 weeks;)

I got a kit from the state of NH but it requires a working web cam (mine was permanently disabled years ago), supervised testing and then sending it in. Not that user friendly. I hope the ones getting sent are better.

I ordered 4 kits too. (We also got 4 kits thru the kids school). Shipping date is end of January tho.

Here you can too:

Reactions: tlc1976
I am disappointed, I signed up the day before the official date (it went live early and got confirmation that the request was processed but no ship confirmation. Its been a week and no ship confirmation.

Same disappointment with our in-state program. In less than 24 hrs the supply was completely exhausted. I ended up buying 2 kits.

Last edited:
I haven't heard either from the usps. Signed up the same day or the day after you.

Just curious...
Why would you want a Covid test kit? At this stage, unless you are very old or have an immune disorder, the virus is nothing more than a "bad cold" or "light flu". If I had either one of these, I would keep away from others anyway so they wouldn't catch whatever I had, covid or not.
As I said, I am just curious as I don't understand the need for the test kits and want to understand others' thinking.
Thanks.

Because if my child comes home with it from school, and I don't have symptoms, I might still want to keep myself away from my elderly neighbor because I might already be infected. Moreover, my wife works in the hospital. You want to make d*mn sure she does not bring it there to folks who really can't deal with adding covid to whatever they already have. So testing is good, because then one can stay home when one has it but has no symptoms (yet).

WIth new variants, the spreading efficacy for cases when one does not show clear symptoms is not yet clear. It seems to be that the latest variant can spread already before "cold"-symptoms become evident.

While a vaccine is intended to keep yourself at a low(er) probability of severe disease, most of these other things are intended to keep others safe. So I see it as a kind thing I can do to not endanger others.

That is my personal thinking.

Because if my child comes home with it from school, and I don't have symptoms, I might still want to keep myself away from my elderly neighbor because I might already be infected. Moreover, my wife works in the hospital. You want to make d*mn sure she does not bring it there to folks who really can't deal with adding covid to whatever they already have. So testing is good, because then one can stay home when one has it but has no symptoms (yet).

WIth new variants, the spreading efficacy for cases when one does not show clear symptoms is not yet clear. It seems to be that the latest variant can spread already before "cold"-symptoms become evident.

While a vaccine is intended to keep yourself at a low(er) probability of severe disease, most of these other things are intended to keep others safe. So I see it as a kind thing I can do to not endanger others.

That is my personal thinking.
Appreciate your feedback and point of view. Thanks.

Reactions: stoveliker
Just curious...
Why would you want a Covid test kit? At this stage, unless you are very old or have an immune disorder, the virus is nothing more than a "bad cold" or "light flu". If I had either one of these, I would keep away from others anyway so they wouldn't catch whatever I had, covid or not.
As I said, I am just curious as I don't understand the need for the test kits and want to understand others' thinking.
Thanks.
For me I am in and out of lots of customers houses. Some of those customers are elderly or immune compromised. So I want to be sure I don't spread it to people like them who couldn't deal with it well. Yes I would love to be able to just stay away from people when ever I have symptoms. But people still need heat regardless so unless I have covid I am working.

And yes for many the newest variant is less severe. But that absolutely isn't true for everyone I choose not to gamble with other people's lives.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
I am an owners engineer for a couple of projects that I need to visit on occasion. Both construction sites have been shut down due to Covid breakouts and the only way to go back on site is with a valid negative test of wait 5 ro 10 days. Having a small supply of instant test kits is real handy.

Reactions: Dan Freeman
Just curious...
Why would you want a Covid test kit? At this stage, unless you are very old or have an immune disorder, the virus is nothing more than a "bad cold" or "light flu".

Are you serious ?

When I read all the obits in the papers of people in their thirties and forties who thought the same thing it's kind of sad.

Reactions: bholler
Let's not.

While our (or at least my) world view is such that I understand the "serious?" question, the poster did simply note "just curious". Evidently the view of the poster is different (than mine), and the poster wanted to understand the side that would have a first reaction as in "seriously?".

That wishing to understand the other side (and to do so in a quite appropriate way) is commendable (!). In fact the world would be a better place if that happened more often.

The response of the poster to my "answer" as to why (a simple and polite thank you for answering) indeed indicates this was a serious question. Not trolling/baiting.

Hence I believe there is no intention from the side of the poster to let it go bad, and thus let's not go there from the "seriously"-side either.

Let's not.

While our (or at least my) world view is such that I understand the "serious?" question, the poster did simply note "just curious". Evidently the view of the poster is different (than mine), and the poster wanted to understand the side that would have a first reaction as in "seriously?".

That wishing to understand the other side (and to do so in a quite appropriate way) is commendable (!). In fact the world would be a better place if that happened more often.

The response of the poster to my "answer" as to why (a simple and polite thank you for answering) indeed indicates this was a serious question. Not trolling/baiting.

Hence I believe there is no intention from the side of the poster to let it go bad, and thus let's not go there from the "seriously"-side either.
Very well said, @stoveliker. I truly am curious and appreciate the serious answers offered so I can understand others' views.

People are still very very sick and many are younger without pre existing conditions and are in the hospitals on vents .
I just don’t understand Dan F comments?

Respectfully Dan , my wife RN /DON has been taking care of covid patients for 2 years now and she is still seeing many younger people without pre existing conditions hospitalized and on vents . The vast majority are not vaccinated. Seeing so many people suffer and unable to breath then die has taken a toll on her and our family . Over 30 years experience as RN. She’s truly a hero in my book as are all the other health care professionals.

So please understand that comments such as yours in regards to how only the elderly or immune compromised at this point are getting real sick and all the others have just a “ bad flu” at worst case are just not true .

I know we all are wanting to get this covid thing over with . Glad to read so many comments on people wearing masks , getting tested ect… trying to not spread this any further and caring about others .

Thanks for your feedback, @wishlist. I have a cousin who is a nurse, and she tells me it is not that bad where she is, and as I mentioned most cases are the elderly and immune compromised with almost an even split of vaccinated and unvaccinated. My brother lives in NY where they are treating it like the plague in attitude and practice. He goes to Florida for Jan-Mar every year and he tells me it is like night and day in Florida compared to NY. I guess where you live in the country has a lot to do with it. Some areas seem harder hit than others. I see you are in MI which I have read has been pretty hard hit. Folks in my area seem to be of the mindset that Covid is now with us forever and it will be like the winter flu. Just what I am seeing and hearing. I appreciate hearing other views and experiences since you can't trust much of what the news tells us these days.

Thanks for your feedback, @wishlist. I have a cousin who is a nurse, and she tells me it is not that bad where she is, and as I mentioned most cases are the elderly and immune compromised with almost an even split of vaccinated and unvaccinated. My brother lives in NY where they are treating it like the plague in attitude and practice. He goes to Florida for Jan-Mar every year and he tells me it is like night and day in Florida compared to NY. I guess where you live in the country has a lot to do with it. Some areas seem harder hit than others. I see you are in MI which I have read has been pretty hard hit. Folks in my area seem to be of the mindset that Covid is now with us forever and it will be like the winter flu. Just what I am seeing and hearing. I appreciate hearing other views and experiences since you can't trust much of what the news tells us these days.
Our area had a similar attitude towards covid. That was until our police chief and 4 volunteer firefighters died from it. After that the overall attitude shifted.

I can tell you I have 2 close friends who work in different ICU units one in central pa one on the outskirts of philly and they tell a different story most are unvaccinated and they are seeing more younger people. Yes the majority are still elderly or compromised which is to be expected. But they aren't the only ones effected. And regardless they are still people and their lives still matter.

I think it comes down to seeing what you preconceived notions make you want to see.

Reactions: wishlist
Or what is actually occurring in your particular area.
To me the current situation in my immediate area doesn't matter much. Things can change very quickly in those small areas. We need to look at everything

Just curious...
Thanks.
Others have responded with reasons for getting the tests. I would like to respond to the bad cold, light flu.
I too have been hearing that omnicron is not as bad, however this happened at my workplace starting 3 weeks ago.
Obviously everyone reacts differently to illness.

COVID went through my workplace. 11 people tested positive. 9 had no symptoms. 2 became sick. 34 year old and 42 year old. Both male. Neither has any other health issues. Neither is overweight. 34 is unvaccinated. 42 is vaccinated and had booster 6 weeks prior to this event.
34 is a runner, healthy eater, no smoking , ect.
42 is just average as far as food, occasional exercise, prior smoker who currently vapes.
Both were hospitalized diagnosed with COVID pnumunia. Both were placed on oxygen.
34 was in for 3 days then released.
42 was in for 8 days then released.
They came back to work at different times obviously, however, both were very short of breath, exhausted easily and obviously "were not right"
Only time will tell if they will fully recover or not.

I was thinking we were on our way out of this mess by what I was hearing. But seeing my co workers going through this made me realize that COVID is still a very serious illness.

Others have responded with reasons for getting the tests. I would like to respond to the bad cold, light flu.
I too have been hearing that omnicron is not as bad, however this happened at my workplace starting 3 weeks ago.
Obviously everyone reacts differently to illness.

COVID went through my workplace. 11 people tested positive. 9 had no symptoms. 2 became sick. 34 year old and 42 year old. Both male. Neither has any other health issues. Neither is overweight. 34 is unvaccinated. 42 is vaccinated and had booster 6 weeks prior to this event.
34 is a runner, healthy eater, no smoking , ect.
42 is just average as far as food, occasional exercise, prior smoker who currently vapes.
Both were hospitalized diagnosed with COVID pnumunia. Both were placed on oxygen.
34 was in for 3 days then released.
42 was in for 8 days then released.
They came back to work at different times obviously, however, both were very short of breath, exhausted easily and obviously "were not right"
Only time will tell if they will fully recover or not.

I was thinking we were on our way out of this mess by what I was hearing. But seeing my co workers going through this made me realize that COVID is still a very serious illness.
That certainly is not good. Do you know if they had Omicron or Delta? Delta, while not as prevalent as Omicron (only about 5+% of the cases nationwide as of mid-January), is still out there and is a much more serious strain.

Perhaps my county is unusual. With a population of 173,000+ and a total Covid death total of 471 since the outbreak in 2020, the percentage of deaths is 0.0027%. The case rate since the outbreak is 35692 which is a 20.6% case rate, and the case rate has been steadily dropping here for a while according to local statistics.

Still just trying to understand what is going on in other areas.