Free seaoned oak in Berkeley, CA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of the PITA to haul out, but not too bad and wood would be out before you got too pooped. If the 'cold drinks' were a particular frothy beverage...........done! Cheers!

Yah, nothing like free wood, the best firewood at that, and as seasoned as its gonna get. On top of that they are offering free beer and pizza (or donuts) to go with it as a bribe?

Yah, nothing like free wood, the best firewood at that, and as seasoned as its gonna get. On top of that they are offering free beer and pizza (or donuts) to go with it as a bribe?

Not much oak around for you & none here for me.
If we were close, we'd be like a kid in a candy store. :)

That wood is just 90 miles away! Last year when I first started collecting wood, I probably would have called and went to get it. I have more wood than I can store on my suburban lot and I quickly learned that there is a lot of wood being given away, and it's all really close to home too. I did drive 60 miles once for what I was told was a lot of oak, it turned out to be a big cottonwood tree. They banned wood burning there! http://cnsnews.com/news/article/log-burning-fireplaces-banned-berkeley I would find the restaraunt owner in the article and sell them the wood.

Yah, a lot of wood burning bans are prevalent in the SF Bay area. "Spare the air" days in winter means no wood burning. Santa Clara County has had a a new construction wood appliance ban for decades, as does Palo Alto, Berkeley, and several other cities. No fireplaces or wood burning appliances are allowed in new construction or in existing houses that do not have fireplaces/wood stoves. Only older homes with existing fireplaces and wood stoves can have them. I had a fireplace in my house in Campbell, but it was useless for heating. Actually it drew all the heat out of the house, so it was worse that useless.

Not much oak around for you & none here for me.
If we were close, we'd be like a kid in a candy store. :)

There is a lot of Oregon white oak still around here, but no live oak like in CA. In CA I went for the Madrone in the Santa Cruz Mountains though. My boss at my last job there for 7 years let me cut all the wood on his property that I wanted. His wife did not like the Madrone, after one large one fell onto their house in a storm one winter. But in the candy-wood store I could not burn on a lot of days in winter in Santa Clara Co. That was during the days of deregulated sky high NG in California, and I had gas heating bills over $100 a month even when I was not there.

By design, I live in an area in a state that does not ban burning in winter. I also only have wood heat here, so even in WA state I could still burn wood, even during stage 2 burn bans.

The morel of the story is that wood is free where you cannot burn it, and it costs where you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.