1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Free standing gas hearth stove or insert?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by schnoodlemom, Dec 11, 2011.

1. schnoodlemom

schnoodlemom New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    Hello all,

I am considering what to do with my fireplace. It is on an exterior, is 28" high, 36" wide and 24" deep.

I want something that will work in an outage. We recently has one for about a week! My Mendota gas insert at my beach place does a good job with the blower going, but in an outage that won't work. I am wondering about a free standing stove in front of or partly inside the fireplace. Would this heat better than an insert if the blower isn't working?

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Not really that much better, in my opinion. I had a jotul gas stove on the hearth of my old house - and now have a valor insert in the fireplace. The valor heats every bit as well - even without the blower. That mendota should also heat well without the blower on....
  3. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74 Member

Loc:
    The Great Pacific North Wet
    The difference in efficiency between the blower on and the blower off is less than 5%. Basically the blower warms up the room faster. Mendota now makes inserts with no blowers.

Brad
  4. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    +1. I went thru a 5 day power outage during the ice storm up here in Dec 2008.
    No fans for the LP insert or fireplace, but they kept us at 58 degrees for the duration.
  5. schnoodlemom

schnoodlemom New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks all. I'll think about this.