Free wood, thanks to the storm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smirnov3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 7, 2006
Eastern Ma
If any of you wood scounger live near Sharon, MA, you should drop by & pick some free wood.

Just drive down any street, you'll see some.

We had what meteorologists call a 'micro-burst' here a couple of days ago. Lots of wind, rain, hail, and lightning like it was coming from a gattling gun. Everybody I spoke to had a at least some major branches down, and many people lost whole trees. Several roads were blocked.

I have been working in Sharon for the last 4 days. It's some of the worst storm damage I have seen in years. We have been putting in 12+ hour days there and have'nt put a dent in the clean up. There is a lot of wood on the ground there. Medway Ma also got hit pretty hard to. I saw a lot of unsafe chainsaw handling there also. Becarefull if anyone goes over there,there is a lot of broken trees under stress and a lot of hangers every were.

earthharvester said:
I have been working in Sharon for the last 4 days. It's some of the worst storm damage I have seen in years. We have been putting in 12+ hour days there and have'nt put a dent in the clean up. There is a lot of wood on the ground there. Medway Ma also got hit pretty hard to. I saw a lot of unsafe chainsaw handling there also. Becarefull if anyone goes over there,there is a lot of broken trees under stress and a lot of hangers every were.
I wonder if this would bring the firewood cost down in that area ? .........hummm Normally high , aye .

I don't think it will change much. Things in MA only go up in price not down. I think the fire wood guys around here are getting 250-275$ a cord.

earthharvester said:
I don't think it will change much. Things in MA only go up in price not down. I think the fire wood guys around here are getting 250-275$ a cord.
"250-275$ a cord" Wow. Price going down is.......Wishfull thinking i guess.

I bought firewod in MA for $190 per cord (cut, split, and delivered but green). I ordered it from The Firewood Shop in Bellingham. 508-883-7582. Three hours after I ordered it a truck showed up and dumped a big pile right where I told them to (3 cords). Then I spent something like 10 hours stacking and covering it so it could dry. When the weather turns cold I'll move most of it closer to the house and stack it again.

Ahhh, but therein lies the rub...a properly seasoned cord reduces in size by 80%, so your 1 cord of unseasoned is really 80% of a seasoned cord

so once your cord seasons you'll actually have 128cu/ft*.8=102 cu/ft of seasoned burnable wood.

or you could look at it as $238(unseasoned)*.8=$190 of seasoned wood - about the $250 we're seeing everywhere else...either ways the price of wood sucks and is getting worse here in MA...thank god for a buddy who has lots of undeveloped land!

heydan said:
I bought firewod in MA for $190 per cord (cut, split, and delivered but green). I ordered it from The Firewood Shop in Bellingham. 508-883-7582. Three hours after I ordered it a truck showed up and dumped a big pile right where I told them to (3 cords). Then I spent something like 10 hours stacking and covering it so it could dry. When the weather turns cold I'll move most of it closer to the house and stack it again.

They might both be right -- it says the change in size of the HH is due both to the wood shrinking AND settling. So maybe the shrinking is in the range of 6%-8% and the rest of the change in the size of the HH is due to settling?

Status
Not open for further replies.