free wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
Picked up some free wood today, guy says he thinks it's poplar, i'm not sure, but it was free and not too far away, about a 3gallon round trip. There's another cord there, but the tree is a hanger and I told him I'm not dropping it.

Attachments

• newwood 005.jpg
    newwood 005.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 514
We've been installing poplar baseboars & crown in a house for the past week- those green patterns look too familiar ( even when kiln dried)

Here's a shot of the bark too....

Attachments

• newwood 004.jpg
    newwood 004.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 345
It's poplar. Looks like next years wood. Not real high in BTU's but in and EPA stove, great shoulder season wood.

Yep, definitely next years wood, gonna split and stack this weekend hopefully. Already have 3 cords of oak that I bought split and stacked for next year, hoping to use this and maybe some free pine to burn spring fall and mix in with the hardwood, trying to make it last....wish I could score hardwood for free around here, but it's not too likely.

Good stuff to burn early fall and late Spring. Around here it is popple and also most call it gopher wood. Put a few sticks in the fire and quickly go fer another handful.

Status
Not open for further replies.