Freedom Fuel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is Under 200 the right price??

like that Political answer......J

samm6 said:

I get a lot of grief if I suggest it any other way! Heck I wll probably get grief anyway. Testing pellets isn't all its cracked up to be and it wears on you. Doesn't matter if I say yea or ney. Someone jumps on my wagon. Well the wagons getting heavy and I am tired of pulling it! :sick:

If they work for you and the price is fair. Get em while you can! The bigbox stores change pellets like I can my shorts. :)

Gweeper64 said:
I have two bags of these I bought a few days ago. I should be done with my 2 bags of Pennington's Nature's Heat by tonight (impressions to come) and ready to open the FF.

Does anyone know if the Freedom Fuel are hardwood or softwood? I can't find anything on the bag. I need to know what setting to set my Mt Vernon to with these.

My Freedom Fuel bag says "Made in NC" . The Pennington Nature's Heat bags I bought at Walmart actually say "Made in Canada".

I sent them an email and here's the reply:

"Hello,

Freedom Fuel is 90% hardwood and 10% softwood and is a super premium grade fuel pellet.

Regards,

Scott R. Townsend
Freedom Fuel Sales Manager
"

j-takeman said:
samm6 said:

I get a lot of grief if I suggest it any other way! Heck I wll probably get grief anyway. Testing pellets isn't all its cracked up to be and it wears on you. Doesn't matter if I say yea or ney. Someone jumps on my wagon. Well the wagons getting heavy and I am tired of pulling it! :sick:

If they work for you and the price is fair. Get em while you can! The bigbox stores change pellets like I can my shorts. :)

Love your Testing.. Keep it up... we need this info.

As far as your wagon is conserned, we can use an old Truck frame to make her stronger... &

i am for Pellet power over the horse anyday.......

geek said:
Gweeper64 said:
I have two bags of these I bought a few days ago. I should be done with my 2 bags of Pennington's Nature's Heat by tonight (impressions to come) and ready to open the FF.

Does anyone know if the Freedom Fuel are hardwood or softwood? I can't find anything on the bag. I need to know what setting to set my Mt Vernon to with these.

My Freedom Fuel bag says "Made in NC" . The Pennington Nature's Heat bags I bought at Walmart actually say "Made in Canada".

"Hello,

Freedom Fuel is 90% hardwood and 10% softwood and is a super premium grade fuel pellet.

Regards,

Scott R. Townsend
"

that just goes to show you that the Big Box Stores have No Idea what they are selling.

ALL the Pallets of FF are Marked with a BIG S for 100% soft at my HD

Thanks for the Clarification.

(I told myself that I was only going to buy 2 more ton. now i am thinking about where i can put a third)

samm6 said:
geek said:
Gweeper64 said:

"Hello,

Regards,

Scott R. Townsend
"

that just goes to show you that the Big Box Stores have No Idea what they are selling.

ALL the Pallets of FF are Marked with a BIG S for 100% soft at my HD

Thanks for the Clarification.

(I told myself that I was only going to buy 2 more ton. now i am thinking about where i can put a third)

samm6, Your getting to be a pellet pig ya know! :) oink oink!

U can call me whatever you want...

As long as i can get away from the LP and Kero Bills that KILL me in the winter.

samm6 said:
U can call me whatever you want...

As long as i can get away from the LP and Kero Bills that KILL me in the winter.

Calling you that is a complement. You see I am a pellet pig too! So is imacman and several others. With the amount of pellets you have now and what you want to buy! Makes you a pellet pig and you can join the pellet pig club. You definetly think like a pellet pig-more-more-more! hehe

Welcome aboard. Put this in your sig!

Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club….OINK OINK!!
“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselves” - eernest4- Grand Poobah - Pellet Pig Club

Thanks J... Sometimes the sarcasm doesn't make it through the written word.. ;-)

I will add that WHEN and Only WHen i get the stash up to 5. I just dont think i rate that status Yet...lol

geek said:

"Hello,

Regards,

Scott R. Townsend
"

Thanks, geek! I thought about doing that earlier today but got sidetracked with pesky work related issues. Bah.

I will be starting to burn them before I turn in tonight....

I also replied to his email asking why the mix of corn in the pellets as reported by me, Jay and others.......still waiting for a response but I have the feeling he won't respond.....

I started using my first bag late last night. I looked through it a bit to see if I could find any corn, but I didn't see any. As others have reported, the pellets are fat but small; kind of broken. First impressions so far are that they aren't too bad for the price I got them at ($4.38/bag). I'm not sure they are giving off quite as much heat as others but I am not doing any measurements; it's just my subjective feeling. More later....

Ok guys, got a response from him about the corn question, is this true? :

"The reason why there’s corn is because when we shut down production we have to use corn to clean the dye. Out of the hundreds of thousands of bags that we manufacture a very small percentage will have corn in them. I will tell you that corn has no effect on the performance of the product.

Regards,

Scott R. Townsend
phone: 561.644.4365 | fax: 561.688.2125
"

Stopped by HD on my way home and took a look at their pellets. They had 5 bags of Freedom that had tears in them and were re-bagged in large plastic bags for $1.99 each, so I pulled the trigger on the 5 bags to test them out.

What j-takeman sad was right on, much larger diameter, and it does appear to have specks of corn throughout the first bag that I am burning right now.

So far I'm not that impressed with the heat vs the Green Team pellets that I've been burning, I think I will probably mix the rest with the Green Team till they are gone.

ct_administrator said:
Stopped by HD on my way home and took a look at their pellets. They had 5 bags of Freedom that had tears in them and were re-bagged in large plastic bags for $1.99 each, so I pulled the trigger on the 5 bags to test them out.

What j-takeman sad was right on, much larger diameter, and it does appear to have specks of corn throughout the first bag that I am burning right now.

So far I'm not that impressed with the heat vs the Green Team pellets that I've been burning, I think I will probably mix the rest with the Green Team till they are gone.

did i hear someone say that they are coming from two plants?

I will get a few more bags and give another try. didn't see any corn in what i got.

Currently have 1 bag Hamers & 2 bags of Green teams in Hopper.

First Real cold night here!!!!! Currently 26*

So, I finished the two bags of Freedom Fuel that I bought. My impressions are

1) Ash - not too bad actually. I did have a bit more clinkered material than some others but the volume of ash/clinkers in the pan was not all that bad. And, the amount of ash in the firebox was pretty good too.

2) Heat - heat output was ok but not as good as some others (even the Pennington Nature's Heat were hotter, but much dirtier)

So, overall I don't think they are too bad. They are the cheapest pellet I have found in my area. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again in the shoulder seasons.

About multiple plants - my bags has a North Carolina address on them, but their website has a Florida address for the company. I'm not sure what's up with that. Maybe the bags I got were old?

I burned two tons of FF my first year and hated them, I thought it might have been how I stored them so this year when HD sold me two tons of FF (I thought I was getting fireside ultra which they had out front advertising the price) for $219/ton I figured the price was good even if the pellets weren't. compared to MWP and NEWP, they are garbage, lots of broken pieces and crumbly, the same way I remember my first two tons. At least I can mix them in with the other pellets in my 11 bag (or so) hopper so they can't cause too much trouble like they did my first year.

rowerwet said:
I burned two tons of FF my first year and hated them, I thought it might have been how I stored them so this year when HD sold me two tons of FF (I thought I was getting fireside ultra which they had out front advertising the price) for $219/ton I figured the price was good even if the pellets weren't. compared to MWP and NEWP, they are garbage, lots of broken pieces and crumbly, the same way I remember my first two tons. At least I can mix them in with the other pellets in my 11 bag (or so) hopper so they can't cause too much trouble like they did my first year.

How Long does it take you to go through 11 bags?

depending on the weather that will last 7 days, not all of the pellets feed as the hopper was really designed for corn, since I also preheat my hot water with the boiler water the best time between fillings is when we are away and the heat is down to 50 in the house. During very cold weather I can burn two bags a day or even a little more, but I am heating my whole house this way.

I said i would Buy a couple more bags to try.... Is 50 more than a couple?

I just cant help myself :coolsmirk:

Just picked up 2 tons of FF last night from HD to go a a long with my ton of instant heat and 1/2 ton of summers heat. first observations are they are from NC, they are short and fat, didn't see any corn. Tried a bag last night, heat seemed fine, and LOT more fly ash than usual. Our old Whitfield loved the length of the instant and summers heat, burned 28-30 hrs. / bag as compared to energex and other lesser brands that only burned ~24 hrs. / bag. Our new XXV doesn't necessarily like the longer pellets as every once in a while it sounds like one will catch in the auger and snap, so i'm not unhappy that these FF's are shorter as they should feed better. I will know later tonight how long a bag lasts. overall concensus, they are nowhere near the quality of the instant or summers heat, I'll to be cleaning a lot more fly ash than in previous years with these, but at 196.00 / ton compared to 275.00 - 300.00 for the other brands I have, i'll deal with it. I'll have a better idea as to if I'd buy them again after anotehr 5-10 bags.

chris288 said:
Just picked up 2 tons of FF last night from HD to go a a long with my ton of instant heat and 1/2 ton of summers heat. first observations are they are from NC, they are short and fat, didn't see any corn. Tried a bag last night, heat seemed fine, and LOT more fly ash than usual. Our old Whitfield loved the length of the instant and summers heat, burned 28-30 hrs. / bag as compared to energex and other lesser brands that only burned ~24 hrs. / bag. Our new XXV doesn't necessarily like the longer pellets as every once in a while it sounds like one will catch in the auger and snap, so i'm not unhappy that these FF's are shorter as they should feed better. I will know later tonight how long a bag lasts. over all concensus is that i'm going to be cleaning a lot more fly ash than in previous years with these FF's, but at 196 / ton compared to 275.00 for the other brands I have, i'll deal with it.

Your getting 28-30 hours per bag in your XXV? on what heat setting?

28-30 hrs. / bag was in reference to our old whitfield, which I just sold 2 weeks ago, so my experiece with our new XXV is somewhat limited, but have been burning pellets for 14 years. It hasn't been cold enough here in NY to burn the XXV for 24 hrs straight, but we did have a 2-3 day stretch where is was into the 30's and on a room temp setting of 71 degrees, feed on 3.5, a full hopper lasted 2 days. So far 'm really LOVING the fully automatic features of this new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.