Freestanding in an Old Small Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zeeko

Apr 14, 2017
minneapolis
Hey all-

I really like the look/idea of a freestanding stove in a fireplace, but mine is quite small-
Height at the front opening is 27", Width is 33", and depth to the back is 19" (and it's 26" across at the back)... The tile in front goes out around 15".

It's an outside wall chimney as well. ~1200 sq foot house. I'm in a cold climate (MN) and would obviously love to keep my heating bill down as much as possible.

It seems like there is a lot of benefit to having the stove sit out in front of the fireplace as much as possible, but I'm curious what you guys think are some solid options?

jCcFGdk

You have the right idea. A freestanding stove setting out on that hearth would really crank out some heat into your house.
Of course you would have to extend the hearth out quite a bit.
Also you will have to run a new pipe down the chimney for the wood stove.
I have a new Jotul F500 which is probably too big for your little house. Perhaps the next smaller Jotul, the 400, would meet your needs.

Your opening is rather low I would imagine that you need a stove with a rear-exit for the pipe, not sure if the Jotul has that or just top exit.

Even the Jotul F400 sadly seems to be ever so slightly too tall for my opening... It looks like it's about 29.5" tall from the spec sheet (and even with the short leg kit, I think it's still slightly over.

I honestly think that a stove in front of your firebox would eat up the room and greatly detract from the pleasant visual of the fireplace.

To my eye, your best option would be an insert unit.

Dave

Nice looking fireplace. The limiting factor will be the lintel height. There are some stoves that have a short leg option or adjustable height. Two that come to mind are the Hampton H300 (with short leg kit) and the Woodstock Ideal Steel.

The other option is to consider an insert. The fireplace is nice and deep. Depending on the rear slope, a 2.0 - 2.5 cu ft insert with a square firebox may fit in there. If that option is chosen, then I would insulate the back wall of the fireplace with a layer of micore or fiberfrax.

Whether a freestander or an insert is installed, plan on putting in a damper area sealing block-off plate. Question: How tall is the chimney on this fireplace?

@djkeev, I would ideally want the freestanding stove set into the fireplace halfway (or more).

@begreen I'm not super into the idea of the blower the goes along with the insert, but could be convinced. And the top of the chimney has to be somewhere around 25' when looking from outside the house.

Some inserts convect naturally pretty well even with the blower off. That is what I'd look for. In general these inserts project a bit further out onto the hearth. A couple examples would be the Enviro Kodiak or Boston series and the Pacific Energy Super insert.

Finding a freestander that would tuck partially under the lintel is going to be hard, but the Hampton H300 with the short leg kit would make it. It's 24 3/8" high. That stove would look nice in there.
https://www.regency-fire.com/Products/Wood/Wood-Stoves/H300

Last edited:
What are the dimensions of that room?

That is a beautiful fireplace, it looks like a bungalow style. What ever you do I suggest that any modifications you may need to make to the damper or firebox can be reversed.

@djkeev, I would ideally want the freestanding stove set into the fireplace halfway (or more).

@begreen I'm not super into the idea of the blower the goes along with the insert, but could be convinced. And the top of the chimney has to be somewhere around 25' when looking from outside the house.
A freestander in the fire box will need a blower just as bad as an insert if not more

Wow - that's a beautiful fireplace and hearth. I would resist any recommendations to make modifications to put a wood stove in front of the fireplace, and/or to build out the hearth to make this possible. I would hate to see such a beautiful fireplace and living room dominated by a wood stove in front on a modified hearth.

I have a small Lopi Answer freestanding in my fireplace, but my opening is a few inches higher than yours. Lopi makes the Answer in an insert and it should fit your opening. You will need a blower to get heat out of the fireplace alcove, whether you go freestanding or insert. The newer Lopi Answer blowers use a bigger fan blade and are quieter than a typical blower.

having the stove sit out in front of the fireplace as much as possible
A freestander in the fire box will need a blower just as bad as an insert if not more
If it's only partially in the fireplace then it should convect ok and better than a flush insert, though a blower is an option. The hearth would need extending.
fireplace_h300.jpg

That is a big room. I would put a freestanding stove out in front of that fireplace. I am like you I don't want a fan on my wood heater.

Mine is set back about six inches into the fireplace so about 20 inches out on the hearth and it convects well, no fan necessary. As far as looks it's a matter of taste, I like the free Stander in a fireplace look, others don't, it's your fireplace and your house so you can do what you like best.

Be aware if you put a free stander in the fireplace with a blower on the back of the stove you won't be able to get to the blower to clean it or repair it. Take if from a guy that has had a $180 dead blower back there for nine years.