Fresh air from the exhaust pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kodaksky

Jan 17, 2019
Quebec City
Hello everyone,

I'm new on the forum and a proud owner of Ravelli Monica.

When I clean my stove, I notice that fresh is drafting from the outside by the exhaust pipe in the stove.

Is this normal or the air air is supposed the be "suck" outside like a wood stove cheminey?

A pellet stove uses a fan to exhaust air. So when your pellet stove is off, and you are cleaning it, yes, air will or can be noticed inside the stove while the door is open. If you have a second pipe next to the exhaust pipe hooked to the stove, that should be the fresh air inlet for the fire to burn. If you have this, then when you close the door, no draft should be noticed. If you only have the exhaust pipe and not the fresh air pipe, but an open bit of tubing on the back of the stove for fresh air for the fire, then you will or can have outside air come out of that tube when the stove is off.

Reactions: heat seeker
A pellet stove uses a fan to exhaust air. So when your pellet stove is off, and you are cleaning it, yes, air will or can be noticed inside the stove while the door is open. If you have a second pipe next to the exhaust pipe hooked to the stove, that should be the fresh air inlet for the fire to burn. If you have this, then when you close the door, no draft should be noticed. If you only have the exhaust pipe and not the fresh air pipe, but an open bit of tubing on the back of the stove for fresh air for the fire, then you will or can have outside air come out of that tube when the stove is off.

All of this is correct with at least 1 exception. If you have an air wash to help keep the door glass clean. With air wash you have an opening to the fire box and the outside/fresh air connection.