Fresh air intake duct size........... A problem that needs solving.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sorethumbs

Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
NW Wisconsin
This is a basement intall. The fresh air intake ductwork is 3" hard round galvanized and is behind the drywall (with faux rock veneer). There is approx. 4 inch stub-out of exposed 3" duct prodruding out of the wall, which is provided for attaching the stove's 2" semi rigid aluminum fresh air intake hose. How the heck do I attach 2" aluminum "flex" duct to the 3" rigid duct? My extensive search finds no 3" to 2" duct reducing fitting available on the market. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Any silicone reducer will work and they’re heat resistant

C4B01077-E63D-48BC-AAA8-1100EEC62158.jpeg

I wouldn't use a typical rubber adapter/reducer because the heat would dry it out, possibly cracking. Silicone adapter/reducer should be fine. Silicone hoses are good to 350 degrees, higher quality goes to 500 degrees. I would think they would be fine. Just use the proper hose clamps.

I wouldn't use a typical rubber adapter/reducer because the heat would dry it out, possibly cracking. Silicone adapter/reducer should be fine. Silicone hoses are good to 350 degrees, higher quality goes to 500 degrees. I would think they would be fine. Just use the proper hose clamps.
I appreciate the replies from you and Washed Up. As stated it doesn't really apply to my situation, sometimes I just like to get opinions and learn things for my own knowledge.
I know that with my stove, I don't think heat would be an issue. I can easily lay my hand anywhere on back side of the stove when it's burning.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Thanks for the information. I was hoping for something metal, but it's good to know about the silicone fitting. I did take a good look at it. It appears that it is sized OD on both sides. That would work for the 2" side, with the flex duct going over the silicone, but question the use of a hose clamp to secure two flexable pieces together, it dosn't seem like that would work or be a very good idea. The 3" side I don't think would work without an addtional adaptor, it wouldn't go over or inside the 3" duct as is.

It's just a bummer that this fittiing doesn't exist. It's looking more and more like I'll need to fabricate something myself. I wish I would TIG weld.

Check your local auto parts store for a exhaust pipe reducer/adapter. A automotive exhaust system shop may be able to make you one also.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Update: this fitting didn't work. The 2" ID was to big. The 3" OD side was great and slipped inside the 3" duct perfectly. However I was able to scour Amazon and finally found the same fitting with 2" OD x 3" OD and that was the ticket. I could only find one seller who offered this size fitting and it was aroung 25 bucks, but it works. Thanks for the help.