From scratch...needing stove, insulation, air circulation ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Winterpeg

Mar 26, 2020
Manitoba
Good day to all. Writing from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Wishing health to all in this time of stress...

I am new to the forum side of communicating, apologies in advance for any mistakes; please correct me.

The build... 28'x44' cabin/future retirement home (28'faces south)
Roof trusses with 6/12 pitch, metal roof and siding
6x6 construction
4' crawl space on ICF blocks.
Approx 500sq ft open concept kitchen,dining and living room, WOOD STOVE, all under a 17'vaulted ceiling, windows along south wall
Approx 700 sq ft with 3 bedrooms (baseboard heating), 2 bathrooms , all under 9' ceilings.
Surrounded by 9 acres of poplar (trembling aspen)

Please see attached plans...
Foundation, walls, roof and sheeting in place
Retiring in 10yrs (hopefully, lol)

WOOD STOVE opinions for..
1. Best location in cabin (current thought along bathroom wall closer to centre of cabin)
2.Looking at the Ashford 30.2 v Sirocco 30.2 (1100$ price increase for the Ashford, why?), Pacific Energy Traditional and Alderlea, Napolean Huntsville 1400,
Ironstrike Grandview.
Any real life wood stove cooking experiences with any model?
These are medium size stoves. Too big for my needs?
3. Blowers, is the improvement significant?
4. Thoughts of drawing air from open area through attic to bedrooms with individual ducting, boosted with inline fans. Has anyone done this?
5. Number of ceiling fans in vaulted area
6. Outside air intake needed?
7. Transom over bedroom doors?

INSULATION opinions...
1.Open concept area...spray foam ceiling, batt insulation for walls
Best to spray after chimney installed?
2.Bed/bathrooms...spray foam for under roof, blow in for ceiling, batts for walls

Thank you all for you time, and do as necessary to keep us all safe.

Peace,michel

Attachments

• St. Hilaire Diane 19-111 House Working 2.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 137
At least one ceiling fan will be needed. Heat is going to pocket near the peak of the vaulted ceiling. One option is to put in a ceiling and create a nice room there.

Ducting through an unheated space will result in a fair amount of heat loss, even with well-insulated ducts. Is the crawlspace a sealed, conditioned space? or open to outdoors?

We have cooked frequently on the Alderlea this winter. The swing-away trivet tops offer nice temperature control.

3. Blowers, is the improvement significant?
It was a very significant difference for us on our Sirocco. It will enable you to get heat further into the colder areas quicker. Rarely do we run the fans beyond 1/4 up from idle.

7. Transom over bedroom doors?
I like this idea. You will still be leaving doors open to best encourage heat transfer in my opnion.

At least one ceiling fan will be needed. Heat is going to pocket near the peak of the vaulted ceiling. One option is to put in a ceiling and create a nice room there.

Ducting through an unheated space will result in a fair amount of heat loss, even with well-insulated ducts. Is the crawlspace a sealed, conditioned space? or open to outdoors?

We have cooked frequently on the Alderlea this winter. The swing-away trivet tops offer nice temperature control.
What if the attic was spray foamed on the ceiling of the roof and blow in for the attic floor?
4 'crawl space ICF walls, sealed, no outdoor access.
How is the Anderlea to clean? What type of wood and burn time are you getting?

It was a very significant difference for us on our Sirocco. It will enable you to get heat further into the colder areas quicker. Rarely do we run the fans beyond 1/4 up from idle.

I like this idea. You will still be leaving doors open to best encourage heat transfer in my opnion.
Why the Sirocco? Price? Style? Which size? What type of wood do you burn and what is your burn time in the coldest of days? I am 12miles North of the Canada/U.S. border. Is your home similar in shape to this build?

What if the attic was spray foamed on the ceiling of the roof and blow in for the attic floor?
4 'crawl space ICF walls, sealed, no outdoor access.
How is the Anderlea to clean? What type of wood and burn time are you getting?
The better insulated or the warmer the space the duct runs through the better. Blow cooler air from the BRs to the heated space where the stove is. The Alderlea is very easy to clean. Just lift out the baffle, put a rag in the secondary tube and clean. I use a sooteater for bottom-up cleaning.

Why the Sirocco? Price? Style? Which size? What type of wood do you burn and what is your burn time in the coldest of days? I am 12miles North of the Canada/U.S. border. Is your home similar in shape to this build?

I chose the Sirocco in part because the BK vice president told me it was a real heat gun! I liked the appearance. I have the 20 series model.

My barely insulated home is smaller than yours considerably. Honestly not comparable. Hence the smaller stove.

I burn a mixture of hardwood primarily. I also burn a pile of Eastern White Pine. The stove does remarkably well on the pine.

In the very coldest weather I might get down to 10 to 12 hour reloads. This would be really exceptionally nasty cold windy weather. You would be looking at the 30 series which holds more fuel. Longer burns.

The Sirocco model has very few reported issues that I found.

I would put the stove in the LR along the bath wall. The heat off the back of the stove will warm the bathroom wall up nicely.

Has your engineer or HVAC company created a load calc for you? This will give you a good idea of your heat loss/gain. If they haven't I don't mind doing one if you want. Just send me a PM with your phone number so I can get some info from you.