fresh air intake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scott8001

Jan 3, 2010
Indiana
I have an older squire free standing stove, it draws air from inside the house for combustion, which makes the other rooms colder, my idea is to drill holes in the sides, and into the fire box, and route 3 inch exhaust pipe through the outside wall with shutters to control combustion, i will be welding the transition pipe onto the fire box, so i can remove the pipe if need be. the intake pipes will be terminated outside with wire mesh and a dryer type louvers to keep insects out. If any body has any suggestions, or have any other idea, it would be appreciated.

I would take advantage of the drafts, locate them and attempt to seal things up before altering your stove.

Welcome to the forum Scott.

Something else you might try for making those other rooms warmer is go place a small fan in a hallway, doorway or such and, with the setting on low, blow some of that cool air into the stove room. It sounds backwards but works great. What it actually does is pushes some cool air in and forces warm air out.

After heating with wood over 50 years we learned that little trick. I scoffed at the idea but kept an open enough mind to try it. Son of a gun, it worked. Then we also reversed our ceiling fan to suck air up in winter rather than trying to blow warm air down. Dang, it also worked!

I hope this helps.

As for the outside air, many do it and some are forced to do it. I've had it both ways and still am not too high on sucking cold air in. Still, if it needed done, I'd do it. But I'd try other things first.

Status
Not open for further replies.