Fresh Air Kit Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goode2shoes

Dec 23, 2011
Southern IN
I have mentioned on another forum that I was told by US Stove that I did not need to have a FAK because of our home's open floor plan. Well that opened a can of worms for the members. The resulting debate began and ended with a 50/50 for and against using a FAK.

Some said that you are wasting your pellets heating the cold air from outside and the opposing side was that I was currently sucking in the warm air inside the house that I used pellets to heat and am blowing it outside into the cold.

Then I had some people say that if you use a FAK, about a 1/3 of problems are solved with your stove if you have a FAK.

I'm tempted to get a FAK and install it. So I called US Stove and talked to them.

US Stove said if I decide to get a FAK, they recommend a 69FAK for our model 6039. I have looked / searched, etc. for the Wind Hood Termination on the web using Google, individual store sites, etc. I can NOT find any!

I can not find a 2" 90 degree elbow either!

So is a person suppose to make their own termination applications?

Why the heck doesn't either/or come in the FAK??

Any input?

Look up "Outside Air Kit" (not fresh air kit) on Amazon, Overstockstoves.com, dynamitebuys, or Ebay.

You dont waste pellets by having an OAK. The flame that is burning well over 1,000* does not feel the 60* air difference, between outside 10* air or 70* inside. When talking Super High temps, the flame prefers cold air. Cold air is more dense and contains more Oxygen, for better combustion.

Also. With an OAK, you heat your home. Not the great outdoors.

I put one on my 6041 it made a big difference i would burn without it now. You just need to remember to shake the slide draft daily to allow the ash to fall into the pan.

titanracer said:
My stove manual recommended it when new, it came with one, I installed my stove, so it got the OAK/FAK installed. From early post, I think they pretty much all recommend it now. To answer your question on what to use, I have no idea because I don't know your stove. But I did find this for you on the US Stove Works website:

https://www.usstove.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=306_41_60&product_id=271

I appreciate your looking that up Titan but I found that and found it cheaper on another site.

If you will notice there is no termination piece included in the kit nor the pipe. The pipe I have, I'm just having a heck of a time finding the termination piece(s).

We have the US Stove 6039 and I was wondering if anyone made there pipe termination pieces or where they bought them?

Status
Not open for further replies.