Fresh split White Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this question was just recently asked, but I would like some input. I just got a cord of white ash. The trees were cut last year but was just split. I have been mixing it in with the 1/4 cord of hardwoods that I have left. (They are very well sesoned). This is my first year burning and want to know will this cause a significant creosote build up in my chimney. Some pieces hiss a little, but most of it burns right up.

I woud not worry too much about it if the pieces hiss a little, as long as the fire is good and hot. Ash tends to be somewhat dry to begin with (relatively speaking) so keep mixing w/ seasoned pieces. Sounds like you've already got it down..

And welcome!

Give your chimney a look in a few weeks and see if the flue is getting a lot of creosote after a relatively short amount of time (I guess check it now too to see where you are starting from). Even thought ash is low moisture wood to begin with, green ash that hisses is still less that ideal, but better that most other green hardwoods.

Check your chimney and see what it looks like . . . and for the record I would continue to do what you have done . . . mix it in with the better seasoned wood and keep the temps good and hot.

You'll do fine Johnny. Like the others said, just check the chimney occasionally. Mixing it I doubt you will have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.