Froling S4 Turbo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
I think the time has come to retire the Central Boiler. It still works fine so I will probably move it close to the pool and use it to heat the pool. I am only using it now when the temps drop to the teens and below as our Kuma Sequoia keeps the joint livable until then. Man I really like the idea of tossing some wood in a boiler and shutting the door and letting it do its thing. That way I can burn the Sequoia occasionally in the evenings and on weekends. I have some questions though that I can't get answers for:

- How do you clean the ash out of the S4 system?
- What are the emissions ratings?
- Firebox size looks to be 7cu ft if my math is right??
- How much storage will I need heating between 6500-8500 sq ft?
- Will the 60Kw size be enough?
- Does it really weigh that much? Holy crap lol
- Can I install it in my basement or do I need a boiler room?
- Why is the condensing heat exchanger only available on the 28kw?

I have more questions about storage tanks and such but that can wait. I want to make sure the 60Kw with storage will work.

I think the time has come to retire the Central Boiler. It still works fine so I will probably move it close to the pool and use it to heat the pool. I am only using it now when the temps drop to the teens and below as our Kuma Sequoia keeps the joint livable until then. Man I really like the idea of tossing some wood in a boiler and shutting the door and letting it do its thing. That way I can burn the Sequoia occasionally in the evenings and on weekends. I have some questions though that I can't get answers for:

- How do you clean the ash out of the S4 system?
- What are the emissions ratings?
- Firebox size looks to be 7cu ft if my math is right??
- How much storage will I need heating between 6500-8500 sq ft?
- Will the 60Kw size be enough?
- Does it really weigh that much? Holy crap lol
- Can I install it in my basement or do I need a boiler room?
- Why is the condensing heat exchanger only available on the 28kw?

I have more questions about storage tanks and such but that can wait. I want to make sure the 60Kw with storage will work.
Not sure on your specifics but to give you a rough idea I have a 60 kw (Effecta) with 1,000 gallons of storage. I heat 3,000 sqft to 72 24x7, a 1700 sqft basement to about 65 and a 300 sqft office that I keep at 50 and heat to 70 when I work from home. I am in the colder part of Connecticut and have baseboard heat - house built is 1987 so standard insulation for that era. Also using it for DHW (wife and 2 kids - surprising how much energy that uses). In the coldest of cold I am doing about 3 fires every 48 hours. I would not run a 60kw with less than 1,000 gallons. More would be better as I need to let storage drop to 140 or so before I can do a full load. More storage would give me more flexibility on when I need to be around to get a fire going. Hope these data points help as you compare them to your situation. I can say 8,000 sqft is a lot to heat which I am sure you know:).