From Tree to Smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

enginetech88

Mar 21, 2012
Just as the title suggests..... What is your process and equiptment used to turn a tree into smoke? I'm sure we all do things a little different.

Here's mine in a nutshell.

1. Cut down tree with 18" 346xp saw.
2. Limb and cut just about everything into 6' lengths using same saw.
3. Move 6' logs with Massey 3645 tractor with pallet forks to the log pile on top of a cleared hill.
4. Quarter the logs into 18" pieces still using the 346xp. Pile everything together or put pieces directly into truck, except for really big pieces.
5. Load 18" logs into 1999 Ford dump truck. Use FIL's 28 ton Oregon splitter to split larger pieces and load truck directly.
6. Unload truck into wood stack by the house or into the basement or barn.
7. Bring wood in as needed using an old recycling box. Either feeding an Avalon Olympic or Hotblast 1500. (both in the house)

This is just my way of doing things, if I had pictures I would post them for each step. I will work on that! As always.... if you have any ideas for someone; share them.

Josh

Tractor, dump truck and splitter...mass-quatity-capable...check out the post not too long ago about the 14 steps...you cut it in half...

We need pics of this!

Reactions: ScotO
Fell, limb, cut logs to skidable size, skid to truck with ATV, buck to 17", load,
Haul home split , stack & burn.

Fell, Buck into 18"s (start from the bottom up), load truck and trailer with biggest rounds first (use a ramp to roll the larger ones in), off load rounds in the driveway at home, after all the tree(s) are home, split in driveway, then stack & WAIT.... then burn. ;) As a side note, on CL ads I usually only buck enough rounds to fill the truck and trailer and drive em home. Just afraid if I buck up the entire tree(s) I will return the next evening for another load and they will have "walked away."

find wood on side of road, load into blazer, if only 1 load I cut to length as I unload then split with elec. splitter , stack and season.

I have some dead trees in the woods out back. The polaris rzr won't haul much, bit since i'm not moving the wood far it works out ok. Pulling a trailer out there would be a little rough.

404264_345187145509697_1929366278_n.jpgIMAG0026.jpg394814_346874988674246_39588374_n.jpgIMAG0132.jpgIMAG0131.jpg

Just as the title suggests..... What is your process and equiptment used to turn a tree into smoke? I'm sure we all do things a little different.

Here's mine in a nutshell.

1. Cut down tree with 18" 346xp saw.
2. Limb and cut just about everything into 6' lengths using same saw.
3. Move 6' logs with Massey 3645 tractor with pallet forks to the log pile on top of a cleared hill.
4. Quarter the logs into 18" pieces still using the 346xp. Pile everything together or put pieces directly into truck, except for really big pieces.
5. Load 18" logs into 1999 Ford dump truck. Use FIL's 28 ton Oregon splitter to split larger pieces and load truck directly.
6. Unload truck into wood stack by the house or into the basement or barn.
7. Bring wood in as needed using an old recycling box. Either feeding an Avalon Olympic or Hotblast 1500. (both in the house)

This is just my way of doing things, if I had pictures I would post them for each step. I will work on that! As always.... if you have any ideas for someone; share them.

Josh

I'm no expert but I think your missing the "season wood" step hence the smoke coming out of your chimney ;) .

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Fell tree. Buck it up. Haul to splitting area and stack. Wait until snow melt then split. Stack right after splitting. In October move about 2-3 cord from old stack into barn to be used for winter burning. Move a little to a time onto porch. Put wood in stove. Light match which lights Super Cedar which lights wood. Enjoy heat.

I have some dead trees in the woods out back. The polaris rzr won't haul much, bit since i'm not moving the wood far it works out ok. Pulling a trailer out there would be a little rough.

Welcome to the forum Elusive. Can you give us a hint where in MI you are?

We're a ways apart but not a huge distance. We are west of Chesaning. We have some other hearth.com members close to you too. All good guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.