Front door wooden temp reading at 208 degrees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Recently put a glass storm door in. The glass with direct sunlight is heating up my wooden door. Should I be worried?

I think that I would put a shade of mini blind on the door. That heat could start drying out the wooden door and cause it to warp, especially if it's a thinner door.

I have seen dark (black wooden doors) crack in direct summer sun light (south facing) in the northeast us.

Perhaps you should celebrate, as you stumbled onto the simplest, yet effective, solar heat solution for the home: simply a box with a glass front. Think of what you could do to provide heat if that box was painted black on the inside, with a dampered vent and a simple thermostat and fan to vent house air into the box and out into the house when the temperature reached 120F inside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.