Front-to-back burning stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
Most stoves are side-burners; the stove is wider than deep, the wood is loaded "east-west" (lengthwise side-to-side) and the primary air is presented to the side of the front log. I'm wondering which stoves are configured to burn front-to-back? i.e. the firebox is deeper than wide, the wood is loaded lengthwise front-to-back, and the primary air is delivered to the log ends. The only two I know of are Jotul's F602 and F118. There must be others.

precaud said:
Most stoves are side-burners; the stove is wider than deep, the wood is loaded "east-west" (lengthwise side-to-side) and the primary air is presented to the side of the front log. I'm wondering which stoves are configured to burn front-to-back? i.e. the firebox is deeper than wide, the wood is loaded lengthwise front-to-back, and the primary air is delivered to the log ends. The only two I know of are Jotul's F602 and F118. There must be others.

All Pacific Energy stoves at stated and designed to load front to back.
One could load either way if you wanted to.
Fire box is 3.0 cf for the Summit model

Inside measurements are

~Front to back: 20 1/2"
~Side to side: 20"
~Bottom to baffle: 12 1/2"

Brotherbarts new stove is a front to back model. (Englander 30-NCL )

Roo, so your PE is basically square inside. Do you normally load it with ends forward?

precaud said:
Roo, so your PE is basically square inside. Do you normally load it with ends forward?
Yes , front to back with the ends foward. Its able to char the front of all the wood this way.

If loaded side to side it would only char the front first log.

Roospike said:
precaud said:

Inside measurements are

Does that include the Summit Insert?

Hogwildz said:
Roospike said:
precaud said:

Inside measurements are

Yep , Summit insert is the exact same stove when it come to the box frame ( 1/4" steel body / 3/8" top )
and the inside of the stove is the same.
The insert has the extra frame around the body of the stove and hearth shield.

Hogwildz , you can look in my Signature line to see a film loop of the summit stove from a new fire loaded to reload and secondary burn if you like.

The reason I asked is, I think the front to back geometry gives a more controllable and consistent burn over the time each load burns. I've used mostly front to back burners over the years, and my current Morso 2110 is a side burner. I find it harder to control the burn rate on it. At a certain point it just wants to take off. So tonight, instead of the usual 18" logs loaded side to side, I put in three 10" shorties, same diameter, loaded front to back. Voila, a much more consistent and controllable fire. Velly eenterestink.

Am I going to cut my whole wood supply down to 10" ? No way.

The Summit would be 'way too much stove for my needs, though.

precaud said:
The reason I asked is, I think the front to back geometry gives a more controllable and consistent burn over the time each load burns. I've used mostly front to back burners over the years, and my current Morso 2110 is a side burner. I find it harder to control the burn rate on it. At a certain point it just wants to take off. So tonight, instead of the usual 18" logs loaded side to side, I put in three 10" shorties, same diameter, loaded front to back. Voila, a much more consistent and controllable fire. Velly eenterestink.

Am I going to cut my whole wood supply down to 10" ? No way.

The Summit would be 'way too much stove for my needs, though.

I totally agree with your assessment of loading.
I have test run my stove at side to side loading and as with the front log burning and goes down to coal the second and third logs get going and take off the the stove gets really hot and the smoke starts to roll again because the wood in the back didnt have a chance to char in the first place.

BTW precaud , again as mentioned .......all Pacific Energy size stoves are front to back loading and not just the Summit size.

It must be true, then! ;-)
BTW precaud , again as mentioned .......all Pacific Energy size stoves are front to back loading and not just the Summit size.
I went to their website, and the Vista, their smaller stove, is a side burner.

precaud said:
I went to their website, and the Vista, their smaller stove, is a side burner.

Well unless you wanted to cut your logs to 13" then yes , the Vista could be loaded side to side and with the little Vista we are only talking a 1.4 cf fire box.
I guess i if bought / owned the Vista size stove i wouldnt be a full time burner for home heat (24/7) and would be using the stove for room heat and wouldnt be needing that much wood to worry about. (or use as a second stove )
And yes ........With the Vista i would still run front to back even if i have to cut my wood shorter as the design and air inlets are still in the front.

Tho my Summit is 20" front to back i still cut my wood 14"-16" long as to have room for the coal bed in the front by the air inlet. So going down 2" less wouldnt be a big deal for the Vista.

precaud said:

Was baited to the thread, got involved and then slammed. :long:

I hope you're joking about being slammed...

Anyway, I see the Quadrafire 2100 is a front to back burner, closer to the size I'd need...

precaud said:
I hope you're joking about being slammed...
;-)
precaud said:
Anyway, I see the Quadrafire 2100 is a front to back burner, closer to the size I'd need...
So , .............a ..........You looking for a new / different stove ?

I just looked over the Quadrafire 2100 and compared it to the Vista.

The models are about the same except the Quadrafire 2100 does look to be more suited for longer logs as to front to back burning.

I think a lot of people choose a stove off design too as per one might like to have a wider stove and less deep or some people might like to have a deeper stove and less wide for there room design.
You being a pre/pro wood burner has the extra insight of how stoves work and now have the upper hand to find a percise model for your needs (as per to also front to back loading )

I have always gotten better results loading front to back. On the new stove the firebox is twenty inches square. So that means you can load twenty inch logs if they are exactly twenty inches and perfectly flat on both ends. Right. Like that happens with maybe three splits in a cord. Realistically 18 inchers are the right size for it. Which... means I get to lop the ends off of seven cords of wood cut at twenty to twenty four inches for the old stove before it went south.

Groan.

BB, on the older stoves, as mine in this case- the only air intakes are in the front, so as someone
tried to explain to me once, your wood when loaded north to south, burns with the cigar effect, I know... I was like HUH? yeah front to back, faster hotter fire, east to west,,,, side to side, longer burn,,,,,, does this make sense, also some of the step stoves iv'e seen have narrower ( for lack of better words) fire boxes.

I had a Quadrafire 2100 insert at my last house and loved it. It loaded front to back. You never had to worry about the logs rolling out and consequently, you could load more wood. Alas, they don't make that stove as an insert anymore, and I got a Quad 2700i, which does not load front to back (uses less space on hearth though).

Roospike said:
So , .............a ..........You looking for a new / different stove ?

Having been down this road before, I'd say this bears a striking resemblance to the beginning of that process... this is the "talking myself into it" phase.

I do like the Morso alot. This is the first "complaint" I've encountered with it, and it's not a biggy, so we'll see.

Thanks for your input, Velvet.

hardwood715 said:
BB, on the older stoves, as mine in this case- the only air intakes are in the front, so as someone
tried to explain to me once, your wood when loaded north to south, burns with the cigar effect, I know... I was like HUH? yeah front to back, faster hotter fire, east to west,,,, side to side, longer burn,,,,,, does this make sense, also some of the step stoves iv'e seen have narrower ( for lack of better words) fire boxes.

What a lot of people don't think about with front to back loading is to leave an inch or so of spacing between the splits on the bottom. Give'em room for the air to flow and they will burn all the way back. Not just on the front. And with the old stoves like the Marc the draft passing through picks up the gases, hits the back of the stove and comes back toward the front under the baffle. When that collides with the top air coming in from the front that is as good as combustion gets because the collision occurs right over the flames.

I have watched it happen on the ole Sierra time after time. In fact that was the nightly drill. Load'er up with full air on a bed of coals, give it ten minutes or so for the rolling light show to start and stabilize, take it down to 25% primary air and go to bed.

leave an inch or so of spacing between the splits on the bottom. Give’em room for the air to flow and they will burn all the way back. Not just on the front. And with the old stoves like the Marc the draft passing through picks up the gases, hits the back of the stove and comes back toward the front under the baffle. When that collides with the top air coming in from the front that is as good as combustion gets because the collision occurs right over the flames.

Gotta love it, Learn something new everyday, much abliged! Hows the welds and seams on that new beaut? My baffle likes to twang now and then specially burning Warrens Pine!

hardwood715 said:
Gotta love it, Learn something new everyday, much abliged! Hows the welds and seams on that new beaut? My baffle likes to twang now and then specially burning Warrens Pine!

All looks fine. Tuesday ought to see it go to work.

My Lopi Revere is deeper than it is wide so loading vertically allows for larger splits. I've also found that the burn is much better this way. I still rake coals to the front, but normally have so many that they really reach from the front at least half way back. For normal burns I load a split or two straight in. At night once I have several splits going good and pack the splits straight in, filling the firebox up as best I can. I'll get a good 8-10 hour burn this way with coals in the morning. Every time I've tried loading east-west my splits don't catch well, and wind up smoking more than burning.

Every time I’ve tried loading east-west my splits don’t catch well, and wind up smoking more than burning.

Ditto

No grate in woodstoves, when I use the screen to appease wifey (minature fireplace) Shes always busting my butt-put a grate under the wood it will burn better, SOOOOO I did that once to shut her up, damn near melted my steel baffle !

Roospike said:
Hogwildz said:
Roospike said:
precaud said:

Inside measurements are

Yep , Summit insert is the exact same stove when it come to the box frame ( 1/4" steel body / 3/8" top )

Hogwildz , you can look in my Signature line to see a film loop of the summit stove from a new fire loaded to reload and secondary burn if you like.

Done that last week I think it was :) Pretty much made me froth at the mouth. I hate what I have at the moment. But better than nothing. Summit insert in my near future. I am looking forward to check this EBT out. Thanks for your help!

Hogwildz said:
Roospike said:
Hogwildz said:
Roospike said:
precaud said:

Inside measurements are

Done that last week I think it was :) Pretty much made me froth at the mouth. I hate what I have at the moment. But better than nothing. Summit insert in my near future. I am looking forward to check this EBT out. Thanks for your help!

Dont know i offered this link or not to you but here it is for your viewing pleasure.

http://chimneysweeponline.com/hoebt.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.