Front-to-back burning stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the VC aspen and Morso 2b are front to back burners

Roospike said:
Hogwildz said:
Roospike said:
Hogwildz said:
Roospike said:
precaud" date="1163235430 said:
Most stoves are side-burners; the stove is wider than deep, the wood is loaded "east-west" (lengthwise side-to-side) and the primary air is presented to the side of the front log. I'm wondering which stoves are configured to burn front-to-back? i.e. the firebox is deeper than wide, the wood is loaded lengthwise front-to-back, and the primary air is delivered to the log ends. The only two I know of are Jotul's F602 and F118. There must be others.

All Pacific Energy stoves at stated and designed to load front to back.
One could load either way if you wanted to.
Fire box is 3.0 cf for the Summit model

Inside measurements are

~Front to back: 20 1/2"
~Side to side: 20"
~Bottom to baffle: 12 1/2"

Brotherbarts new stove is a front to back model. (Englander 30-NCL )

Does that include the Summit Insert?
Yep , Summit insert is the exact same stove when it come to the box frame ( 1/4" steel body / 3/8" top )
and the inside of the stove is the same.
The insert has the extra frame around the body of the stove and hearth shield.

Hogwildz , you can look in my Signature line to see a film loop of the summit stove from a new fire loaded to reload and secondary burn if you like.

Done that last week I think it was :) Pretty much made me froth at the mouth. I hate what I have at the moment. But better than nothing. Summit insert in my near future. I am looking forward to check this EBT out. Thanks for your help!

Dont know i offered this link or not to you but here it is for your viewing pleasure.

http://chimneysweeponline.com/hoebt.htm

Can't wait to experience live!

Warren said:
Yes, but the Aspen is a turkey and the 2b is more of a statement piece than a daily burner.

precaud said:
Warren said:
Yes, but the Aspen is a turkey and the 2b is more of a statement piece than a daily burner.

No arguments there. I do wonder why the aspen sucks. It sure seems to have that reputation. Nice looking little stove.

I love that 2b though. Very old world and classy looking.

Warren said:
No arguments there. I do wonder why the aspen sucks. It sure seems to have that reputation. Nice looking little stove.

The Aspen probably suffers from the same bad rap as the Jotul F100. People buy a little two 16 inch medium split wood stove and expect it to burn from ten at night until nine in the morning. I hear complaint after complaint about the F100 but the little sucker we have burns clean and tosses a bunch of heat for about two hours a load. If your are able to toss in a couple more every two hours on the hot coals it just sits there and cranks.

If you have lousy draft though fa-gida-bout-it.

Well I may end up cutting down some of my wood supply after all. It feels like I've suddenly discovered the "sweet spot" of this stove. Last night and this morning, three 4-5" pinon rounds 9" long gives 2 hours of 550-600 degree burn. No hot spots or takeoffs, just a nice, smooth, consistent slow burn, perfectly clean out the chimney. It's an incredible amount of heat from very little wood.

It must be said that this isn't possible without the adjustable secondary air control that I've added, but that is a subject for a thread of it's own.

It must also be said that it's possible that those of you burning hardwood would not have to go through these gyrations to get a nice slow burn.

Most stoves are side-burners; the stove is wider than deep, the wood is loaded “east-west” (lengthwise side-to-side) and the primary air is presented to the side of the front log. I’m wondering which stoves are configured to burn front-to-back? i.e. the firebox is deeper than wide, the wood is loaded lengthwise front-to-back, and the primary air is delivered to the log ends. The only two I know of are Jotul’s F602 and F118. There must be others.

Sedore Muti-fuel Stoves are top loaders and burn from front to back. The chamber is 20" wide (side to side) by 20" deep top to bottom and 6 1/2 to 12 1/2 from front to back on the burn chamber depending on which model is used. The wood can be burned either vertical or horizontal and air comes in the front directly at the bottom end or front depending how the logs are placed in the chamber? (Vertical or Horizontal) Could you be more specific on what you mean by burning from front to back? Is deeper from (front to back) on the stove or the depth of the burning chamber (up and down)?
WWW.Sedoremultifuelstoves.com

Attachments

• IR_0040.jpg
    IR_0040.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 353
Status
Not open for further replies.