Frustrated, stove backordered.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagtec1

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
PA
I ordered a VC Montpelier on December 27th, 2010 and paid CASH (I got a cash discount of 3%) in full for the stove and installation, as I was told it would be installed within a 2 week time frame. I called after about 2 weeks, and was told it would be another 3 weeks because the stove was backordered. Now the 3 weeks has passed, so I called again today to get an update and was told mid-February. I am getting ticked, mostly because of the lack of communication regarding the delay, and the fact that they have a boatload of my cash. I have had to contact the dealer each time, there have been no follow-ups on their part. This is a large dealer that has been in business for a long time, but I do not think I could recommend them to anyone at this point. I understand that their hands are tied, but I would expect them to at least contact me in an effort to maintain a positive relationship. I hope it is still cold enough to burn by the time it gets here!

Thanks for listening, I'm just frustrated.

Maybe look at a different stove that is 'in stock'?

If anyone here happens to be a dealer, and can confirm the backorder situation with VC and this particular unit in the non-enamel black, please let me know. I want to be sure they are being straight with me. I really appreciate your help!

This sounds like a perfect time to consider a different stove (and dealer) - not everyone has been happy with their VC stoves over the last few years - you can search the forums for more info

Jagtec1 said:
If anyone here happens to be a dealer, and can confirm the backorder situation with VC and this particular unit in the non-enamel black, please let me know. I want to be sure they are being straight with me. I really appreciate your help!

Where in PA are you? I'm in Bucks County (south east PA) and the dealer I went to yesterday had a Montpelier in stock. Does not mean there isn't a back order issue. Just means the guy by me has one in stock.

But, like the others have mentioned, check other dealers in your area that offer other inserts and see is anything matches your needs.

Thanks...I am in Hatboro, not far from you. I will be making some calls this week to see if anyone has one. If so, I will go get my $ back and buy elsewhere. I am very limited with hearth space in front of my fireplace, thus the need for a flush unit. I guess I should start looking for other models as well.

That definitely sounds fishy to me. Otherwise the dealer would have called you BEFORE it happened. They would know how long the backorder would be for and if they wanted to take care of their customers, they would have been in contact with the factory. Methinks it might be good to see if you can get a refund.

I would go get my $$ back. They have not lived up to their end and they have way too much of your $$.

Just think, when/if that dealer ever gets the stove in and lets say a year down the road you need a part, your not going to want to get it from him. So I wouldnt buy ANYTHING from someone i wouldnt want to deal with again. My 2 cents!!!

Jagtec1 said:
Thanks...I am in Hatboro, not far from you. I will be making some calls this week to see if anyone has one. If so, I will go get my $ back and buy elsewhere. I am very limited with hearth space in front of my fireplace, thus the need for a flush unit. I guess I should start looking for other models as well.

Grates & Grills.
http://www.gratesandgrills.com/

The owner seems honest when it comes to talking about VC products. I know they have a flat black in stock right now. I saw it yesterday.

Jotul also offers a flush styled insert, but it is more expensive (and a bigger stove). About $3,000 in our area.

Fast forward to present time...I finally got an answer from the owner, and they should have the unit on Tuesday. They will install Weds or Saturday. Apparently there was a change in ownership, coupled with a manufacturing backorder. Hopefully it will be burning soon. Maybe I can get him to buy me a cord of wood. ;)

Jag,
Got to tell you, there's only one thing harder than picking a stove that you want
and that is waiting for it to come in !
Just went thru that waiting game with a company that i ordered a wbr smoker from.
Web site said 3-5 days. After 3 promised delivery dates and a late UPS delivery it finally came in.
Took 52 days and i was just about p o'd. Won't go back there and i can't figure out why these folks
do business this way but looking back they all used to say "please allow 6 weeks for delivery".
Maybe it's the economy and their desire not to lose business? the Smoker came in good shape and i
saved 10% so alls well. It's probably the economy.
If that is the stove you want hang in there. You can probably push for some accessorys Hfor your trouble.
Just dont get talked into a stove you didn't want just cause it may be available. Remember, you will be enjoying
this stove for many years to come. If it is a reputable company just hang in there.
rustynut

weezer4117 said:
Just think, when/if that dealer ever gets the stove in and lets say a year down the road you need a part, your not going to want to get it from him. So I wouldnt buy ANYTHING from someone i wouldnt want to deal with again. My 2 cents!!!

+ a whole lot. Cheers!

It is finally being installed. I plan to again voice my disgust, and I will push for some accessories, or a discount.

Jagtec1 said:
It is finally being installed. I plan to again voice my disgust, and I will push for some accessories, or a discount.

Is it in ? Did the dealer compensate you for your inconvienance? Break her in and post some pics !!!

Shawn

It is in. I have not contacted the dealer yet, but I plan to. Nice and toasty warm now! Pics soon.

Jagtec1 said:
It is in. I have not contacted the dealer yet, but I plan to. Nice and toasty warm now! Pics soon.

Now run out to Towey's grab a 6 pack and enjoy !!!!

Shawn

that didnt take long............enjoy
rn

Jags said:
I find your user name suspicious. :mad:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :coolsmile:

I was a Master Jaguar technician (as in Jaguar Cars) for 10 years. ;) I quit back in August to return to school full time.

Do you have some affiliation with Jaguar? I have seen your screen name, and it raised an eyebrow!

Jagtec1 said:
Jags said:
I find your user name suspicious. :mad:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :coolsmile:

I was a Master Jaguar technician (as in Jaguar Cars) for 10 years. ;) I quit back in August to return to school full time.

Do you have some affiliation with Jaguar? I have seen your screen name, and it raised an eyebrow!

Nope - its a nick name based off of my last name and the fact that in the Navy, I was a hard charger like the JAG dept (Judge Advocate General). It stuck. Even the CO of our squadron used my nick name instead of the proper salute.

Status
Not open for further replies.