Full or empty ash pan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the ash pan in my Oslo . . . it's one of the outstanding features . . . it's very easy to dump the ashes in a 5-minute job . . . and that includes the walk outside to my ash can.

So how do I handle the ashes in the ash pan. When the ash pan is full I dump it. I have seen no change in the temps, fire behavior, etc.

Now what I do not do though is clean out all the ash and coals in the firebox . . . generally I stir up the ash and coals in the firebox before removing and dumping the ash pan . . . being sure to leave at least an inch or so of ash and coals in the firebox . . . this helps insulate the base to some degree (although I suspect the air space underneath the Oslo and the ash pan with the air space also help to insulate the base) . . . but just as important to me is that having a layer of ash helps preserve the coals after an overnight or overday burn.

With my very dry pine it's impossible to find ash on the grate.It must fall through.My maple has been drying since spring and leaves alot of light ash and it holds it's shape but falls to dust when ya touch it with the poker.This stove has a large grate and it is nearly impossible to keep the ash in the stove after having raked coals and reloaded.I usually rake a trough up through the middle to get air all the way to the back of the stove BASE OF THE FIRE.My fire will burn a big hole through the front piece of wood because of the primary blowing into the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.