1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Funny wood guy story

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by wolfkiller, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfkiller

wolfkiller Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Salcha alaska
    I ran into a guy at the grocery store that told me he had seasoned birch for 200 a cord. I told him I would take 2 cords as that is a great price. He came to my house with a short bed PU full of nice looking splits. He then explained that he has a 1 ton with a 4 x 8 x 8 bed but it was broke down. (side note, His short bed had a well stacked 4x2x6 load in it). He then told me that he figured it would be about 3 and 1/2 loads in his short bed to make a cord. Then he said he didn't like hauling 1/2 loads so he would bring 4. He then hoped in his truck with the load still in it and left. I had to return to work that day so I kind of blew off the wood guy as a moron. As i got home I saw a nice pile of wood. My wife told me he had pulled in and unloaded 8 good loads of wood and never came up to the house. The next day he came by and asked for his $400. I politely explained that he had hauled 3+ cords to my house, paid him $600 and a few copper river red fillets. He left quite happy. For his sake I sure hope he gets his big truck fixed soon.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA

That is funny.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    The new math.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Sounds like a nice guy. Hope he doesn't get taken advantage of.

Sooo, is the Birch well seasoned?

$200 a cord for cut, split, seasoned, hardwood delivered in Alaska! Tell the guy that paid $400 for tree length green Pine and was shorted a cord.
  5. wolfkiller

wolfkiller Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Salcha alaska
    yes it was well seasoned. I usually cut my own wood but could not pass up this deal. There is a lot of areas to cut wood here. There has ben a lot of guoging sence the fuel price hike. It is easy to get 250 - 300 a cord for green birch. I almost wish I didnt have such a good job, I could easily make 500-600 a day cuting wood. A lot of outdoor wood burners have ben installed recently and most believe they burn green wood better than dry. Very few gassifiers for sale or installed around here. I was going to purchase a good gassifing boiler but decided to go with the big ugly blaze king classic insted. I couldnt be happier.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    A little off topic here Wolfkiller . . . but I've been up your way before. Stopped at the local North Pole tourist trap store and ended up getting a T-shirt from the fire station down the road a piece . . . still have and wear that T-shirt.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.