Furnace cement to adhere door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stuff BeGreen posted is the stuff you want. It's a clear liquid that is very easy to apply.

BeGreen said:

I've used the rutland product begreen provided the link above, a few times, it lasts ~ 1 season then turns to a chalky white powder and releases. Is this typical? Any users of the plumberstock.com product or any other that lasts longer than one season? Or tips for a longer lasting repair?

thanks for the replies

madison said:
BeGreen said:

I've used the rutland product begreen provided the link above, a few times, it lasts ~ 1 season then turns to a chalky white powder and releases. Is this typical? Any users of the plumberstock.com product or any other that lasts longer than one season? Or tips for a longer lasting repair?

thanks for the replies

I've always used this:
img.php

Lasts and holds up just fine.

thanks browningbar. the rutland gasket "adhesive" I have used is clear, sorta thin, and then dries to white and foams a little bit out the edge when it dries. is this black product tacky, and relatively easy to apply and use?

I just read the online product specs, and the gasket "adhesive" I have used has a "service temperature" of 800 degrees
http://www.rutland.com/back/tds/document_30.pdf

The product you use, stove and gasket cement, has a service temp of 2000 degrees.
http://www.rutland.com/back/tds/document_31.pdf

madison said:
thanks browningbar. the rutland gasket "adhesive" I have used is clear, sorta thin, and then dries to white and foams a little bit out the edge when it dries. is this black product tacky, and relatively easy to apply and use?

I just read the online product specs, and the gasket "adhesive" I have used has a "service temperature" of 800 degrees
http://www.rutland.com/back/tds/document_30.pdf

The product you use, stove and gasket cement, has a service temp of 2000 degrees.
http://www.rutland.com/back/tds/document_31.pdf

It is tacky. Is it easy to apply? Sure. It's kind of like the combination of toothpaste and caulking. Holds up to the heat well. Anything that is inside the stove needs to be able to withstand higher temps than 800 degrees.

mhrischuk said:
The stuff BeGreen posted is the stuff you want. It's a clear liquid that is very easy to apply.

+1 Long time no see how are things?

Ray

I once used muffler cement in a pinch and that stuck better than the RSF OEM adhesive. That said, the Rutland adhesive that comes with the replacement gasket held very well too.

Hi temp silicone works great. I like it much better than that cement crap. Had same thing happen, cemented gasket on, then out of the blue it fell the hell off.
Siliconed it on, its been a few years now.

If you get the Rutland make sure you knead it all the way home. It really seperates in the tube. You'll be squeezing along and hit a liquid patch and squirt that junk all over the place. Kneaded up it workes great. A wet paper towel smooths it out well when used for pipe and gives a nice finish.

Hogwildz said:
Hi temp silicone works great. I like it much better than that cement crap. Had same thing happen, cemented gasket on, then out of the blue it fell the hell off.
Siliconed it on, its been a few years now.

X2, the High Temp Silicone works Z-Best!!

Hogwildz said:
Hi temp silicone works great...
Dealer suggested it... tried it... didn't work.

rwhite said:
If you get the Rutland make sure you knead it all the way home. It really seperates in the tube. You'll be squeezing along and hit a liquid patch and squirt that junk all over the place. Kneaded up it workes great. A wet paper towel smooths it out well when used for pipe and gives a nice finish.

The three shirts I have ruined due to Rutland cement spit are nodding in agreement.

LLigetfa said:
Hogwildz said:
Hi temp silicone works great...
Dealer suggested it... tried it... didn't work.
Done it 2x here worked great for me. Gasket on there now is on with silicone. Whatever works for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.