Furniture Polish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Robbiejam

Mar 24, 2021
UK
Hi all,

First-time poster here - been reading the threads over the past couple of weeks to help get up to speed with my new wood burning stove and found some super useful information. I'm really enjoying the process although it feels like I have an awful lot to learn!

Anyway, I just wondered if I could have some advice. Somebody was cleaning in my house today and decided it would be a good idea to spray furniture polish onto a rag and then wipe the stove and the steel flue pipe with it. The stove I believe is made from a mixture of cast iron and steel.

I didn't know what to do so with a damp rag wiped it down and then dried it immediately afterward. It didn't really help - there are spots of polish all over the iron of the door and it seems as though I'm going to have to live with it like that.

Anyway, I contacted the manufacturer for some advice and they basically said they hadn't done any tests with furniture polish so couldn't really help but to use the stove as normal and see what happens. If anything, it might just need touching up with paint it if does impact the paintwork.

My question is, has anybody had a similar thing happen to them before and if so, what happened? Did it ruin the paint, create a horrendous smell as it burnt off, or anything else? I'll be using the stove this evening so I'll find out at that point. I might be overthinking it and it might be absolutely fine but I can't help thinking that it was an expensive mistake and that my new lovely stove is somehow ruined!

Any thoughts, recommendations, or shared experiences greatly appreciated.

Rob.

If you're not burning it now, wait for the next nice warm day to burn it again, and open the windows when you do.

Gonna be some smoke and stink!

I don't think it should mess up your paint, but stove paint is generally pretty painless to go over if it does develop issues. (It's also stinky to repaint, so again you will want to burn the stove on a nice day with the windows open after any paint work.)

My first step would be to try to clean it off as much as possible, then burn the stove hot on a warm day with windows open and a box fan or two to help ventilate.

Your stove is not ruined, lots of "somebody polished my stove with Pledge" threads out there. :)

Thanks for that, quite reassuring! I actually fired it up an hour or so before I read your reply and did so with a window open. Luckily, I must have got the bulk off when I wiped it down earlier as there wasn’t really any smoke, a little bit of a smell but not too bad.

Will keep an eye on the paintwork but as it stands, it seems OK. I do have a tin of stove paint on hand if needed that the installers left me - hopefully it won’t be needed!

Thanks again.

Rob.