Future Trail Clearing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Looks like I'll be clearing out some tall thin sugar maples so the bigger sugar maple get even bigger, it also will allow me to hook up to the trail I cleared a couple of weeks ago.

This should give us a trail for the truck to the wood stacks plus a nice trail for walking and xcountry skiing.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3974.jpg
    100_3974.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 100_3930.jpg
    100_3930.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 340
Zap - How much land DO you have? Seems like I've seen about a whole state ! Do you harvest maple sap for syrup or just harvest wood?

Love the pics. That's a great bench in the previous pic!

142 acres total, the above pictures are from the land the house sits on. We did some maple syrup for ourselves a couple of years ago, but none since.

This coming spring I hope to be cutting in some new areas, just need some trails in. Basswidow, I guess we can thank smokin for the bench since he did get me interested into milling, we still have about 3 -4 more back in the woods.... just need some spots for them which the wife will take care of.

zap

Looks like winter there already! OH I HATE WINTER...........

smokinjay said:

Yep, leaves are off the trees early which sucked for colors in the Adirondacks. I'm looking forward to cooking some steaks in the wood stove this year, what should the stove top temp be?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Yep, leaves are off the trees early which sucked for colors in the Adirondacks. I'm looking forward to cooking some steaks in the wood stove this year, what should the stove top temp be?

zap

Better the steaks the hotter and faster I cook it.

zapny said:
142 acres total, the above pictures are from the land the house sits on. We did some maple syrup for ourselves a couple of years ago, but none since.

This coming spring I hope to be cutting in some new areas, just need some trails in. Basswidow, I guess we can thank smokin for the bench since he did get me interested into milling, we still have about 3 -4 more back in the woods.... just need some spots for them which the wife will take care of.

zap

Nice Zap --> you are a blessed man!

basswidow said:
zapny said:

zap

Nice Zap --> you are a blessed man!

Very lucky we were able to get this property. Hopefully blessed with a strong back! :grrr:

zap

I envy you Zap, I do not know your age or work status but in a couple of years I hope to "retire" to my acreage (only 13.5 acres) and keep busy around my place, I wish I could have bought more timber before the rich doctors and lawyers started buying it up for hunting driving up the price.

13.5 sounds great oldspark, our house sits on 4.47 acres and before we bought the other property I had the woods around the house looking pretty good but since we grabbed the other property I let it go so I'm just catching up on that the last three weeks.

Like my FIL told me you don't have to do it all at once just a little at a time.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.