galvanized chase cover/cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
the "box-top" on my wood chimney-chase is what looks like galvanized steel, and its looking rusty. I plan on going up there (35') to paint trim boards sometime this fall...(rest of the house is vinyl sided). what can/should I do w/ this? is there something I can paint it with?
the house came with a heatilator fireplace...I'm told that the chimney is simply a "b-vent" pipe. I can just barely see it sticking out through the top of the chase, with its chimney cap. I'm not talking about that piece, but the sheet metal covering that goes over the top of the chase, into which the installers cut a round hole, through which the chimney pipe protrudes.... not sure of the proper name for this.

The galvanized will continue to rust and discolor. The chemicals in the smoke speed up the process. You certainly can paint it. You can also have a local shop fabricate a stainless steel one, which will last much longer than galvanized. I had mine replaced with a recent upgrade, and I think my shop only charged me $225 for a fabricated stainless chase top, which I didn't thing was too bad. My chase is about 2' x 8.5'.

no more smoke...cuz I don't use the fireplace. In fact, I might be removing it. (going w/ a pellet stove, but not an insert, and not in that chase. so its just sitting there, idle).

any sort of rust inhibitor that I should use? special type of paint for galvanized steel?

Status
Not open for further replies.