Gap in flue at top of fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

merrittjr

Dec 4, 2017
Illinois
I admittedly know little to nothing about fireplaces/chimneys. We have a wood burning fireplace with a gas starter. It's original with the house, which was built in 1971. We had a cleaning/inspection done and he found a small gap in the flue just at the top of the fireplace. This was not there last year. I'm not sure what could've caused that, but we did have our roof done a couple months ago, if that could've had anything to do with it. What is the fix here? I talked to a chimney restoration guy, and without looking at it he's talking about possibly having to replace everything, including the fireplace. That seems quite extreme, to me. Any ideas?
Gap in flue at top of fireplace Gap in flue at top of fireplace Gap in flue at top of fireplace Gap in flue at top of fireplace Gap in flue at top of fireplace Gap in flue at top of fireplace

Attachments

• Gap in flue at top of fireplace
    IMG_1199.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 88
    IMG_1200.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 67
    IMG_1201.JPG
    9.2 KB · Views: 61
    IMG_1202.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 88
    IMG_1203.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 56
    IMG_1204.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 82
Maybe just go onto the roof and see if the chimney can be pushed back down to reseat it. Also, make sure the chimney is plumb. Roofers are known to get it all out of whack when they have the flashing loose. If it’s leaning, that could be your problem.

Reactions: begreen
Some snap together, some twist together.