Garage or Re-Stacker? Pellet storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
macman said:
dbjordan said:
I have yet to put a drive gate on my fence, so this year it was:
1.Pick up a ton (alone)
2. Unload/stack in driveway (alone)
3. Repeat two more times.
4. Move/restack all three tons in back of house (with help)
5. Cuss myself for not putting in gate.

Fiancee was at work when pellets were on weekend sale.

OK, I must be a dummy....what is a "drive gate", and how is it related to unloading pellets??? :-/

Oh, it's a gate in a fence big enough to "drive" through. I have not put one in yet so I hade to restack twice.

Hubby hauled a 1/2 ton at a time (total 2 tons) from pellet place to home. Then had to haul them to the basement 2 bags at a time and stack. So, he technically stacked them in the bed of the pickup 4 times, then unloaded them off the truck and restacked them in basement. In June...when it was hot. Ample amounts of beer were consumed afterwards, I think, while he admired his awesome stacking job! :)

matchstickchick said:
Hubby hauled a 1/2 ton at a time (total 2 tons) from pellet place to home. Then had to haul them to the basement 2 bags at a time and stack. So, he technically stacked them in the bed of the pickup 4 times, then unloaded them off the truck and restacked them in basement. In June...when it was hot. Ample amounts of beer were consumed afterwards, I think, while he admired his awesome stacking job! :)
This is key to restacking, you must reward yourself once that hard work is done.

matchstickchick said:
thats called living the high life ;-)

Lowes loaded mine with a forklift then i backed up to the garage within 3' of where the stack would go and restacked them. My boy handed them down to the tailgate and i grabbed them, took one step and stacked...pic to come.

And here are my re-stacked pellets.North country in the back and LG Granules up front.

Attachments

• DSC00367.jpg
    DSC00367.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 463
Re-Stacker here, fork lift will not fit in the garage, they can push to pallets in but they just get in the garage. The rest gets dropped off in the driveway, works out good this way, they are right by the door.

Attachments

• Pellets-1.jpg
    Pellets-1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 496
mnkywrnch said:
Nice stack amick,wish I could have found eagles this year great pellet.
I have been really happy with them over that past two years, they burn really hot, low ash. I see you have LG's what is your take on them? They seem to be a good pellet, and a little less expensive then Eagle Valley.

I burnt mostly eagle valley and lgs last year the eagles burned alittle hotter not much ash about the same both have very little fines cant go wrong with euther one (but if I had the choice I would pick the eagles)

Yes, Uncle Jed's are good for heat. I had a dark buildup to clean off the glass, though.
( I tried 3 bags to test them.) But, I was only on the "1" or "1+" setting, 1.95 lbs per hour
or 2.60 lbs per hour app. , so I don't know if the lower settings had to do with the glass
buildup. The ash is darker than the Eco- Flame I've burned this year. I get good heat from
them, also, but with a lighter buildup on the glass. ( I bought 2 tons of Eco-Flame so far and
am looking for 2 more tons to round out the supply for the winter, hopefully at cheaper than
$5 a bag when tonnage is involved.) I must say that the Uncle Jed's are more consistent in
length than the Eco-Flame. ( The Eco-Flame had more long pellets along with normal length
ones.) I'll try different brands as long as they get good reviews here.
I will say "Thank You" to the tip I saw here on glass cleaning with the Magic Eraser. I've used
the Meijer brand Erasing Sponge ( a store brand) and it works great.

Restacker here! Haul my own in a 2006 Ford F-150 with tow pack.

In this stack there are 160 bags total.

65 bags of Turman
50 bags of Omalley's
40 bags of Premiers
2 bags of Rockies
2 bags of Barefoots
1 bag of ACP

I have one other small stack for my pellet test.(no picture) About 28 bags in it. I need about 12 more bags for the season.

Easier than stacking wood!

Attachments

• 2009 2010 stash.jpg
    2009 2010 stash.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 335
restacker here, dropped off in front of barn door and then moved into another room of the barn. tommorow a friend and I are picking up 5 tons from somebody that bought 5 tons last year and then decided not to use them ($150 ton being paid) I get 2 he gets 3, it was his friend after all. gonna get a uhaul and two other guys to help.

12 ton restacked in my pellet storage shed.

Attachments

• pellet shed 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    pellet shed 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 324
  • DSC09755 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSC09755 (600 x 450).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 317
Last year I purchased pellets from lumber reseller that only delivered if there was a forklift on the far end. Hauled 17 bags at a time in the Ford Ranger 1/2 ton. ( It has a Leer fiberglass bed cover that I did not wish to remove.)

This year, had pelletsales deliver three tons to the garage and push just inside the door, BUT the pellets need to go to the basement, So . . . .

1. Load 9 bags of pellets at a time into John Deere 13 cu.ft. trailer and haul around house to bulkhead.

2. Carefully unload bags by hand and slide slowly down the plywood chute to the basement.

3. Load 6 bags at a time onto hand cart and move to stacking/storage area.

4. Stack neatly to first floor, floor joists. Cover with plastic.

Then . . . .

5. As needed, grab a bag or two at a time and lug to pellet sifter and sift into plastic tote.

6. Use 4 qt. grain scoop to transfer pellets from the tote to a pellet hod and lug them up to first floor for loading into the stove.

So . . . .From the ease of having them delivered to my home and placed into my garage, the pellets get "handled" in some form or other, 6 or 7 times before they are actually in the stove's hopper. ( Just can't seem to do anything the easy way . . . )

CONCLUSION:

It is still EASIER and CLEANER and more ENJOYABLE and SAFER than burning fire wood, which I still do in my HS Tarm wood boiler ( When it gets cold enough.)

Am I saving money? Who cares cause I am having too much fun!!

Iluvwinter said:
7 ton in my cellar learned a hard lesson last year....had snow chest deep and had to carry pellets through house never again!!

Will you burn that many in one winter ?

Wil,

You can restack my pellets anytime.

What a neat job!!

Ranger

the old ranger said:
Wil,

You can restack my pellets anytime.

What a neat job!!

Ranger
Yeah, NEAT. Can't believe ya just put 'em on the floor, instead of on pallets, though.

Why not, its a wood floor.

6 tons carried down my bulkhead into my cellar. All you need is a case of beer, a few pizzas, and a few friends and it's done in no time!

CygnusX1 said:
6 tons carried down my bulkhead into my cellar. All you need is a case of beer, a few pizzas, and a few friends and it's done in no time!

You need to steal a slide from the kids next door or something. Saves a ton of work and your knees from bounding up and down the stairs. Just slide to a waiting person. I have a 10 year old so I just barrow his!

CygnusX1,

Friends don't let friends handle their pellets, when the friends are drinking!! ( Just kidding.)

Ranger

wil said:
Why not, its a wood floor.

Just like as much airflow around mine as I can get. Maybe it's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.