Garn Users: Chemical Treatment Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GarnNewbie

Dec 8, 2008
WV
In the installation manual for the Garn 2000 Dectra recommends PrecisionChem Water Treatment out of Waupun, WI. It then says, "Initial chemicals will be shipped to the new owner from the chemical supplier." This wording has me confused. Read literally, it sounds like I should have been sent these chemicals by PrecisionChem. However, I never received these chemicals, so I'm guessing that Dectra is just pointing out that they don't ship them with the Garn, and you will have to order them yourself from PrecisionChem. But before I order the chemicals, I want to make sure that the initial chemicals aren't "on the house" so to speak, and that by some mistake I never received them. Can any Garn users clear this up for me? Thanks.

Sean

Sean - you should have received your chemicals before the GARN was shipped to you. The initial treatment chemicals were included in the price of the GARN last year, and I have heard of no change in that practice, but I am not a dealer. Contact your dealer to make sure they were not shipped there, and forgotten.

The initial treatment regimen was included in the price, as is the first testing. Follow-up testing and treatment chemicals are not, AFAIK. I also got a test sample kit with the chemicals from Precision Chem.

Follow up with your dealer and/or Dectra and I am sure it will get straightened out.

Sean,

I got the 5 gallons of liquid inhibitor chemical CLT-551 with the garn and it was included in the price of the garn.

The Pre-Cln-775, that dectra encouraged using for the flush and pre-wash step, had to be ordered and paid for separately.

It's a one gallon pail of dry chemical and it cost 98 bucks.

Rick

Bondo said:
Hmmm,... Just what are these chemicals suppposed to do,..??

I don't know all the details, but in short, the pre-service flushing chemical is supposed to remove any mill scale, flux, oils, and other contaminants from the system that got in either during the manufacturing and shipping process or while putting the system together. Some of the treatments also claim to "passivate" the metal to make it more corrosion resistant when the system is filled... By cleaning this stuff out, you supposedly reduce the amount of debris in the water that can cause problems with pumps, HX's, valves and any other mechanical bits, and get rid of some of the corrosion inducing contaminants.

The "in service" treatment chemicals are intended to raise the alkalinity of the water, because moderately high pH is supposed to be less corrosive, and again add various other anti-corrosive chemicals, 02 scavengers, and assorted other such things that are supposed to make the water less corrosive to the system, reduce scale buildup, and so on.

If you want more details, there are links in various threads to some of the water treatment outfits which can tell you what their potions do, and how to get your water tested to find out which ones are needed for your setup...

Gooserider

Garn company policy is that every unit shipped, gets shipped with the initial chemical treatment and the sample bottle to be sent to Precision Chemical for analysis. This is an extra cost item to your dealer over and above the unit itself but it is mandatory. Check with whomever you bought the Garn from and see if they have your chemical around their shop somewhere. Regardless of that, I should say that a good initial chem workup is very important to the life of any boiler. not just a Garn.

Status
Not open for further replies.