1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Gas Fireplace won't stay lit

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by Jim1971, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Jim1971

Jim1971 New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum, so I hope I give all the required information.
    We have a newly installed (3 weeks) Mendota Full View 46 on propane.
    It was working fine, until yesterday when I went to light it ... it lit up and the flames went down to off and the pilot went out too. The pilot relit itself, and when I tried today it is still doing the above.
    It is not unusually cold nor is it windy. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jim

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Relit itself? Doesn't your unit require you to light it?

If it's electronic ignition, that's a whole ball of wax in itself. But if it is standing pilot, there are a couple possibilities....everything from a bad regular or regulator setting on the tank to kinks in the line to a bad thermopile, etc.

Very little chance it relates to weather - unless the LP tank is undersized and getting iced up because it's not designed to deliver the BTU required.
  3. xtrordinair

xtrordinair Member

Loc:
    southern indiana
    is the unit an IPI system or standing pilot
  4. altmartion

altmartion Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    how long was the pilot out? from what I see in the spec sheet it is intermittent pilot. is it on a thermostat? is it the stat cycling? that's kind of what it sounds like. jump it out and see if it works correctly, if so the stat is most likely to blame
  5. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    actually you should call the installer first.
  6. xtrordinair

xtrordinair Member

Loc:
    southern indiana
    sounds more like a problem with the flame sensor not maintaining rectification
    Heatsource and DAKSY like this.
  7. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    +1 on the flame rectification. Either that or the ground wire is loose...
  8. xtrordinair

xtrordinair Member

Loc:
    southern indiana
    good call daksy i have not seen to many loose or bad ground wires in the field but its possible
  9. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    it's fairly common in hvac. expansion and contraction of the metals will loosen grounds and other connections. it doesn't help that they sometimes come loose from the factory either. and normally they don't get checked. I am guilty sometimes too.
    revers polarity is a common problem. it will do exactly as the op is experiencing. but does that unit require line voltage?
  10. xtrordinair

xtrordinair Member

Loc:
    southern indiana
    it has line voltage for the control module for the fan and a possible accent light as well as the transformer to convert it to about 3volts dc .the system is designed to be able to run on batteries when theres a power outage except the light and fans of coarse.
  11. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    usually polarity issues show immediately though. not to say it can't happen, lord knows how, but some things are unexplainable. unless someone has done some rewiring in the circuit or panel I would pretty much rule it out. gotta be something simple.
  12. xtrordinair

xtrordinair Member

Loc:
    southern indiana
    the biggest problem i run into is techs that have been there before me and they dont really know much about how these more modern fireplace control systems work so they just start throwing parts at it, especially when theres just venting/draft issues causing it to act up.
    DAKSY likes this.
  13. altmartion

Loc:
    pulaski ny
    i'll be the first to admit, I don't know much about these. I do consider myself good at diagnostics. while they are not the same exactly, they are the same in principle. one thing I refuse to do even when I started 20+ years ago, I will not just throw parts at it. I will take the time to dig into the part that I think is the issue. most any part can be tested. yes, some are not worth it like a thermocouple but you still need a reading before you change it. I do however seem to follow some parts changers though. lol
  14. Heatsource

Heatsource Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    +3 on flame sensor.
    or venting issue pulling flame away from the sensor.(check for turbulence)
    also, lots of grounding issues\
    Monesson technical just told me that the ignitor wire being bundled with the flame sensor can cause frequent drop outs and re-lightings...