1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Gas Furnace Experts. Question for you on jumping the limit switch

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by swimman, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swimman

swimman Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Long story short, the limit switch on my Lennox gas furnace is bad. Can't get one for a day or two. I put everything back together the HVAC company took apart and jumped the limit switch. Should I be concerned with doing this or am I ok? What are the consequences? Should have a new one very shortly.

Thanks in advance.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. R&D Guy

R&D Guy New Member

Well I don't do furnaces but I know that the limit switches in gas fireplaces are there to keep your home from burning down if the fireplace is on too long. I'd say you are putting your home and family in great danger. The purpose of the limit switch is likely so the flue, or furnace doesn't get too hot and cause a fire. Bypassing this safety feature can cost you more than your home, this could cost you your life.
  3. PaulRicklefs

PaulRicklefs New Member

Loc:
    La Ronge, SK Canada
    As a professional gasfitter I'll never recommend bypassing the limit. On the other hand I've done it in a pinch.

Depending on where the limit is, (burner compartment or flue) determines level of danger. Are there more than one? Usually newer furnaces have 2-5 limits in different areas to sense flame rollout or plugged venting.

What I would do is keep a close eye on the furnace, purchase a CO detector if you already have one and sit tight. There is usually a reason for a limit failing such as repeated flame rollouts or negative pressure in the house so I would be very concerned with that.

Short answer is no, it's not a good idea. Long answer is you gained a working furnace, while certainly raising the level of danger in your house.

Try using your electric oven for heat for a day or two, much safer.
  4. Redox

Redox Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Burbs of B'more, MD, Hon!
    I would only do it for "testing" purposes only. How long that "test" lasts is up to you. If the furnace fan were to quit, it could get ugly. I wouldn't leave the house or go to sleep with it jumped out. Then again, I wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.

Every company I've worked for would have canned me if I did that.

Chris
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.