Gas insert flame too high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thermodynamix

Jan 26, 2021
Massachusetts
Just installed a Mendota FV44i. The heat is amazing.

-2659929003884252151.jpg

You can see in this pic that the flame is reaching near the top of the firebox, and the ceramic material above it has a small red glow. I understand that the firebox is supposed to get hot, but is this too hot? Is the flame too high?

Yes something looks wrong. Daksy the problem with the electronic modulating valve regulators, at least with sit controls, is that they always come on on high. So if you turn it on manually or leave it on a thermostat it will be on high until you decrease it. I would inspect the burner, burner media, shutter position. This problem has been tough for me to pinpoint in the past.

Reactions: DAKSY
I would inspect the burner, burner media, shutter position. This problem has been tough for me to pinpoint in the past.
The shutter is already open all the way. I'll try playing around with log positions. I contacted Mendota and they said "it's common and okay to have the back flame to lick/touch the top baffle". Also on their website, the pics show flames hitting the top. It seems wild to me though, because that means the top baffle is getting HOT. These units are very nice though.

UPDATE for anyone curious: After contacting Mendota, my dealer, and installer, everyone agrees that this is not an issue. These machines are built to have high flames and the top baffle where the flame hits is made of some high-temperature ceramic. Apparently it's fine.