Gas insert help, its VERY old(with pic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDobbs

Oct 7, 2013
So i bought a house a couple years ago and there is this 9 foot tall mantle with beveled mirrors and carnival glass tiles surrounded in tiger oak. Yeah...amazing...

it has this BEAUTIFUL brass(i think) insert that is gas fired. the chimney is one of those old fashioned ones that is enourmous in the basement and narrow at the top. though it is sectioned off inside at the base(assuming all the way up as well). i stuck my head in there recently because i had to replace the exhaust venting for my furnace.

anyways the insert has its own flu, just a rod you pull and it opens a flap to vent.

here are the pics of the fireplace
The mantle extends to about 1' from the celing(the celings are 10') the pillars continue on up, i just did not take a pic of it because i have a bunch of stuff up there and was lazy lol
A3880514-8A1E-4667-8426-06168A7B0B72-147-000000015FF94A0E_zpsa199da06.jpg

the whole things needs a good cleaning but this is the area that concerns me, is there something that sits on top of those ceramic burners? the adjuster underneath takes a square ish key(which i do not have) to adjust the flame, near as i can tell.
622B86A1-3D52-4840-BB6F-EFFFDBABFFD0-147-00000004AA6623B8_zps4aaa0d53.jpg

this is the rod that opens the flu.
93343CF1-87E5-419F-A4D5-66C0C99C2779-147-00000004B0EFD028_zps5cc86b98.jpg

if anyone knows anything about this insert please share your knowledge. I would really love to light this thing. the gas company has leak tested all the pipes and connections and it looks good.

also i forgot to ask...what do you reccomend to seal this unit to the tiles? it seems it was previously held on with silicone, which will not hold the unit for long. I was thinking furnace cement but that may damage the tile or the insert.

I'd recommend full service from a shop specializing in older gas units. I've done this for 17years, and would refer you to another shop as we don't know much about these types of units...
also a CO detector :)

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.