1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Gas Supply

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by Giles, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giles

Giles Member

Loc:
    N.W. Alabama
    I plan to install a freestanding Martin fireplace heater in my livingroom. It's BTUS are 24K---40K Natural gas.
    The 3/4 supply line enters my basement and transitions into a 1/2" within about 3" foot. The heater will be installed upstairs with a total run of 21".
    I would like to use 1/2" or 3/8" black iron pipe but It would be MUCH simplier to make this run with 3/8" copper.
    Would this be acceptable?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Fake coal burner

Fake coal burner Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City Utah
    Check your local codes. Copper pipe is a no no in my state. For Natural gas.
  3. trafick

trafick Member

Loc:
    Lynchburg, VA
    When they installed my Allagash in my fireplace, the gas line ran in the basement under the fireplace and they just tapped into it and ran 3/8" copper tubing to the stove through a small hole they drilled in the fireplace. Run was 2'. But as Fake coal burner said, check local code.
  4. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Working with black iron pipe is easy. Sounds like you need two 10' pieces of 1/2" and a +or- 12" nipple. A drip leg is required by code and is easily made with black iron. BI also lends stiffness, impact resistance, and support to the run.

Ehouse
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.