Gasket leak maybe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4Dtvman

Feb 5, 2012
East Bay of Rhode Island
I think I might have a window gasket leak because after I clean the window 1 hour or less later streaks start forming on the bottom in the same places. 4 in total, as time passes they get larger and dirtier. I can't think of anything else that would make the glass streak like that. So what do you guys think.

Clean Streaks (Window is getting dirty but has 4 clean streaks)

Or

Dirty Streaks (Window stays clean but has 4 dirty streaks)

Does your stove have the air wash on the bottom?

DexterDay said:

Or

I don't think so on air wash and its Window stays clean but has 4 dirty streaks

Post up sum pics so we can see for ourselves.

Have you tried the dollar bill test?

4Dtvman said:
DexterDay said:

Or

I don't think so on air wash and its Window stays clean but has 4 dirty streaks

If it doesn't have an airwash, then I wouldn't expect the window to stay clean at all...

This is the airwash on my furnace. It only stays clean where the inlet is. I dont expect yours to look like that. Just an example on how it may be clean here. But dirty there.

On your stove. If it has one. It will look like nothing. The gasket on one side of the glass (top or bottom) will be missing the gasket. Easist way to find out, is to light a lighter and get it near the edge of the glass (air will suck in flame) or light a candle or a match and hold it near the bottom and then top pf the glass. Smoke will get sucked in.

On my Quad, it will get some streaks if it gets a dust build up. Which means its time to clean it. (take a lighter and run it across the gap and let the flame get sucked in, going across entire glass face)

As Smoke suggested. Pic would help

Attachments

• Gasket leak maybe
    airwash.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 259
Ran my lighter across the bottom and it sucks the flame in. I just clean the window about 2 hours ago and it will be hard to tell. But tomorrow I will take some pictures and post them.

So you do have an airwash. You learned something new today.

BTW- What stove do you have?

If you click on Your Control panel at the top of the screen and then Edit Signature on the left side of the screen. You can put your stove in your Sig.

It looks like it's got less streaks now. I cleaned it this afternoon and ran the vac across the bottom of the glass. I just thinks it dirty on the bottom and air doesn't get in those places. Tomorrow I'll take out that channel and clean it out.

Right now I'm admiring one particular cord wood burner that has a problem with my work ethics.

Found the problem, On the inside bottom where the glass is there is a strip that holds the glass in. Well from using a stove glass cleaner it would run down and build up in that channel along with ash that would not let air threw. After removing that strip and clean it with a small brush no more streaks.

Thats great glad you figured it out, and thanks for updating the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.