Gasket Question for Jotul F500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcore

Hearth Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Northern Sask Canada
This may be a stupid question, but do I have to use the gaskets from jotul or can I just buy the proper size gasket, cut to fit, and install?

Anything I have to watch for when doing this? Just have to put a new gasket on my smoke outlet.

Thanks in advance!

Buy the correct size, but don't cut it until you have it almost completely installed.
The Jotul flue collar gasket is a 3/16" dia. with adhesive on it.
If you buy another brand of 3/16, you will probably have to get a tube of RTV or
gasket cement to keep it in place.
Make sure your gasket channel is clean & do not stretch the gasket when installing it.
Run a bead of adhesive around the channel & press the gasket into it, working your
way around the length of the channel...
When you get to the end, THEN cut the gasket to fit...
Re-install the flue collar & you're good to go...

DAKSY said:
Buy the correct size, but don't cut it until you have it almost completely installed.
The Jotul flue collar gasket is a 3/16" dia. with adhesive on it.
If you buy another brand of 3/16, you will probably have to get a tube of RTV or
gasket cement to keep it in place.
Make sure your gasket channel is clean & do not stretch the gasket when installing it.
Run a bead of adhesive around the channel & press the gasket into it, working your
way around the length of the channel...
When you get to the end, THEN cut the gasket to fit...
Re-install the flue collar & you're good to go...

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply! You answered my question perfectly!

Thanks for the help.

I used the graphite gasket material the stove store had as well as HD. I did the side and ash pan door. As I recall the ash door should have been 1/4 inch. The closest I found was 3/16, which worked fine. The side door didn't go so well. I think I used to much cement and didn't let it dry enough before it getting it hot. It burned the gasket material. So gasket replacement #2 I let I dry for a week an then a few small burn in fires. After a few weeks we had a section of the gasket come loose, mybe to little cement. It's been that way all of last year. The next time I'm going to try high temp silicon.

Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the info as well. So the top is supposed to be 3/16" but can I use 1/4"? The store in town only has 1/4" or else I will have to get some next time in the city.

Thanks again!

P.S. Manual says Ø7x900mm for smoke outlet. Does Ø7 mean 7mm? If so that is just over 1/4" is it not?

My guess is there aren't exact conversions between standard US gaskets and the Metric gaskets they use. The Oslo I checked on line says the smoke outlet gasket is 3/16 or 6.4MM X 3' or 930MM. This doesn't look right, 6.4 MM is 1/4 inch. So if they now they say 7.0MM, I'd use 1/4 inch. If the fit can be tightened down I think it would be fine.
The issue will be much worse with doors. To big and you won't get the door closed and to small it won't seal. Now reading the manual, I'm not sure what my ash door size difference was. I do recall what I used was a larger than what was spec. and what I took out. It closes tight with a good seal.

http://www.jo.com/FileArchive/Technical Documentation/Wood Stoves/Jøtul F 500 Oslo/Manual_F_500_USA_P12_211009.pdf

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.